the modern distiller

Basic Rum wash

Drink like a Pirate...

Basic Rum wash

Postby scarecrow » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:22 pm

This is a simple rum wash based on blackstrap molasses and bakers yeast. My first batch I use hot water to dissolve the molasses. After that I use the hot backset from the still. I usually do about 10 generations till I run out of storage room. I then save some backset and freeze it for the next run.
You won't need to add any yeast for a few generations, if at all.
It will gradually take longer to ferment as the pH drops due to the backset. You can leave it out and just use water every 3 or 4 generations.
This will fit in a 20 litre container.

Add and stir till dissolved

HOT BACKSET 4 litres
MOLASSES 5 litres
WATER to 18 litres

When cooled to about 30°C, dissolve the following in some warm water. (I half fill a PET soda bottle and shake till it dissolves.) Don't use hot water, it will destroy the vitamins.

MULTIVITAMIN 1 tablet
VITAMIN B 1 tablet
MAGNESIUM SULPHATE ¼ teaspoon (Epsom Salts is fine)

Sprinkle the yeast on top and stir it in.

BAKERS YEAST 4 tablespoon (Lowans yeast is fine)

Aerate the batch, put the airlock on and stand back. :shock:

I don't normally check the pH, but it should be around 5.5
The above should give you about 12% ABV
Ferment should take about 4 or 5 days and may stretch out to 6 or 7 as you get further into it.
Let it settle out for a few days and then run it.
Go easy on the heat and don't overfill the boiler or it will puke it's little tushie off. :D

Twice through a potstill should give you a nice strong rum. Ist pass as a strip run, 2nd as a pottie run.

Arrrghhh, where's me buccaneers. Under me buccanhat. :o

scarecrow
scarecrow

Re: Basic Rum wash

Postby scarecrow » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Doesn't get any more basic than that does it?

Loo, you need to change that avatar dude. It freaks me out every time I look at it. :shock: :shock:

scarecrow
scarecrow

Postby Heffers » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Not as bad as QLDANDY's over on AUD. Now that was some f@#cked up sh!t.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

Postby Merlot » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:18 pm

What... no sugar? mmmmm. Sounds very easy, what abv does the wash get too?

Cheers
Merlot

Postby Distill8 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi Guys,
I've run my first rum wash....not impressed.
I used 1/3 molasses, 2/3 water and bakers yeast.
I have to admit, it did sit for about 2 weeks before I ran it. (waiting for my new StillDragon Pot Still to arrive)
It's hard to describe what it tastes like....it smells like rum, but tastes muddy or something...
Im trying to get a rum that tastes like bundy....any suggestions?
I know it hasn't been aged on oak yet...but thought it may taste at least like bundy 5 or close.
Got my second generation down now with about 20% backset. Am I an the right track?
Thanks in advance....
Distill8

Postby SBB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Bundy is quite unique in its flavour, I doubt your going to get even close. What you should be able to achieve is making a rum as good as and one that tastes like some of the other well made rums made world wide.
SBB

Postby Beerswimmer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:14 pm

You are on the right track! Using the backset will give your 2nd gen so much more flavor. You'll be suprised! And it just keepsgetting better every generation!
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby Tracker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:02 am

There could be a few reasons Distill8.
As mentioned before, Bundy is a bit different to other rums but from me, a beginner question, and I am unsure of your experience, so please excuse me if I appear blunt but is this one of your beginner runs as a distiller or with your current equipment?
It does take some time to learn how to get the best out of your equipment, as in how best to run it.
I have been doing this sort of stuff for a few years now and progressed from a Bok slant plate to a pot still then added a thumper and now running a StillDragon 2 plate pot still combo and I am back to learning how to get the best out of it again.
It could just be a case of learning how to drive the machine you have to get the best out of it and that can only happen with practice, not all equipment reacts the same.
You may need to run faster, slower, keep more or less heads/tails, alter the percentages of your wash, plus a multitude of other alternatives. This is the fun of our hobby.

Cheers and best wishes on your venture.
StillDragon Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer v1.10
Tracker

Postby Distill8 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:26 am

Cheers Punkin,
I'll give some copper scrubbers a go.
I plan to age it anyway, just didn't taste as expected.
Thanks again....
Distill8

Postby Capt. Happy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:08 am

In Sailing the shortest sailable distance between two points is called The Rhum Line

When I started looking at rum wash recipes it got confusing because I'm easily confused so I came up with an equation. It is based on a maximum of 300 gr per liter of dissolved sugars. This seems to be the osmotic pressure threshold of yeast.

Here is my equation for the Rum line. Where X = Oz of sugar, and Y = Fluid Oz of Molasses..... per gallon of water.

X= .9(Y) + 36
OR
Ounces of sugar/gallon of water = Fluid oz Molasses/gallon of water - 36

That is to say if you use 12 Fl oz of Molasses then 12-36= -24, and -24/-.9 = 26.67

So... you can add up to 26.67 Oz of white sugar to that 12 fl. oz. of Molasses and still be within the osmotic threshold of yeast.

However, I'm not sure we can really call it rum unless at least half the sugar comes from Molasses, in which case no less than 20 fl. oz. of Molasses per gallon of water should be used.
Capt. Happy

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 am

Molasses can vary a lot as to what percent of the sugars making up the specific gravity are fermentable, so using a fixed percent (fermentable) sugars won't necessarily work. With a little math, however, you can figure out what percent of the sugars are non-fermentable given only your Original Gravity (OG) and your Final Gravity (FG).

As an example, if you added molasses to water and got an SG of 1.100, and fermentations stopped at SG 1.050, you could figure 50% of that sugar was non-fermentable. Those numbers are just for a kinda mathless example.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby Zombie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:45 am

Is there a way to make those sugars ferment-able?

I know there is, and I know you have answered this 1,000 times. Something about sucrose/dextrose. Complex sugars vs simple sugars.

Never-mind the question Mr. Bob.

I'll look it up.

I am a HUGE fan of three things... Seed stock vs. feed stock, Golden molasses vs. black strap, and Cane juice vs. processed sugar.
More people have to look up exactly what they are using vs. what they are finding.

Seed stock MAY have additives that must be soaked out (fungicide/hormones), Black strap is the left over crap from sugar claimation, and therefore has VER%Y little ferment-able sugar.

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby Capt. Happy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:58 am

Hmmmm. I guess there's a lot more to this rum making than meets the eye.

I must have got lucky with that 20 fl oz Molasses, 20 oz sugar combo. :confusion-shrug:

Maybe the banana helped...
Capt. Happy

Postby SBB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Zombie wrote:Black strap is the left over crap from sugar claimation, and therefore has VER%Y little ferment-able sugar.

A lot of people world wide including myself seem to be able to make perfectly good rum from Black Strap or what some call Stock feed Grade Molasses.
Maybe the Quality of Black Strap in your part of the world is sub standard.
SBB

Postby Zombie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:07 pm

That's not really the point SSB.

I never knew about things like SG (specific gravity) or ferment-able sugars before coming to the forums. I did know sweet is sweet, and sour is sour.
Black-strap is FULL of concentrated flavor compounds. Golden or Bakers molasses is full of the same compounds but not as concentrated.
It also has more readily ferment-able sugar, and therefore a higher SG in a mash/wash.

All I was stating is... there is a purpose, and use for every ingredient. Some are flavor profiles, and some are Eth. producers.
they are completely separate, and individual.
Much like all of us.

The tried, and true formulas are just that. Albeit... Whips/chairs/guns to keep that Rum under control.

You're one of the best SSB. I respect that!

Zombie

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:45 pm

Just for the record, I'll throw in with SSB on using blackstrap for rum. With some sugar added, I figure it makes rum pretty close to what the pirates drank in the Carribbean 300 years ago. After tasting rum from blackstrap, many of the "modern" rums taste like Bud Lite, but mind you, that's just a personal opinion .
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby JayD » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:35 pm

the Rum I make is made using stock feed (Blackstrap) molasses and it is surely a nice Rum... ;-) just ask any of me hearties that been marooned with jayd for a week or so...arghhh. :obscene-drinkingcheers: There's also a beer down here made from it and although I haven't tasted it, as I only drink spirits...Phill swears by it.
JayD

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:18 pm

My tuppence.....I agree with SBB and JayD...Blackstrap makes good Rum.

Geographically I am about 250km south of SBB and around 450km south of Scarecrow .I get my Molasses from the southern most Refinery in NSW . ( in fact in Australia AFAIK ). I have tasted SBBs Rum and Scarecrows Rum and they are all so different to Mine even thou we get our Molasses from very similar areas when you consider they grow and process Sugar cane right up the east coast through Queensland .

I double Pot still , SBB has a bubbler and Scarecrow has a CM reflux still .It is hard to believe the variation in tastes .I am more inclined to think its the Distilling process and cuts that are responsible for the taste than the type of Molasses .

After hearing so much about this "fancy Molasses" I have spent an absolute fortune buying Supermarket Food grade Molasses and I could taste no difference in the Rum compared to the Black strap I normally use .I suspect Food grade Molasses in Australia is just the same stuff just handled and packed to Safe food handling specs

So I also have to wonder is this fancy molasses that we get in Aussie really the same thing as What the Yanks call Fancy Molasses.? ...I suspect not .I think what we call "Golden syrup" and make Cookies and "Hokie Pokie" out of is closer .

And regarding the SG ...I agree with Bob's approx figures , although mine is closer to SG 1.110 and FG 1.055 for an "All molasses" , ( no added sugar) wash like Scarecrow's OP
Yummyrum

Postby Capt. Happy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Too many big words and high falootin ideas, I'm not but a simple sailor.

After crunching numbers and converting measurements it pleased me very much to see that Scarecrows recipe in the OP falls on the Rum line at just under 36 fl oz of molasses per gallon of water. and no added sugar.

I've got a wash fermenting right now. I went with a half gallon of Molasses (Grandmas), and 6.25 lb of sugar in 5 gallons of water. This represents a mid point on the rum line. I use 1.5 oz of regular ol Red Star bakers yeast, activated in a warm slurry of water, sugar, banana, and a half cup of cornmeal. Nice fruity effluvia...
Capt. Happy

Postby Capt. Happy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:42 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Molasses can vary a lot as to what percent of the sugars making up the specific gravity are fermentable, so using a fixed percent (fermentable) sugars won't necessarily work. With a little math, however, you can figure out what percent of the sugars are non-fermentable given only your Original Gravity (OG) and your Final Gravity (FG).

As an example, if you added molasses to water and got an SG of 1.100, and fermentations stopped at SG 1.050, you could figure 50% of that sugar was non-fermentable. Those numbers are just for a kinda mathless example.

OK, I just picked up 5 gallons of liquid cane feed molasses. On the label there are three numbers.

BRIX min 79.5%
Moisture max 27%
Sugar Min 43%

From these USDA tables http://www.fruitsmart.com/PDFs/Technica ... vTable.pdf

I find this indicates a SG of 1.41138 weighing 11.745/gal. with 9.337 lbs of dissolved solids per gallon

a little math I find that 9.337 lbs solids/gallon equals 1118.8309gr/l. Given that more than 300 gr/liter of solids in solution will create too much osmotic pressure for yeast to survive , with a little ratio and proportion I find that there are 300 gr of dissolved solids in 268.137 ml of molasses, meaning that the maximum molasses I can use per liter of solution is 268.137 ml. or 36.597 fl oz/gallon.

It follows that if only 43% of this molasses is sugar, then this 268.137 ml contains 162.7306 gr of sugar/gallon.

Comparing this to off the shelf food quality Brer rabbit full flavor Molasses. 15ml@SG1.4 weighs 21 gr of which 12gr are sugars or 57% by weight and total carbs 71.43% add in the other listed stuff K .21 gr Na .25 gr total solubles equals 15.46gr per 21gr molasses equals 73.81% stuff and 26.19% moisture

I guess what I see is that with feed stock or food quality molasses there may be differences in fermentable sugars but there is very little difference in the osmotic pressures created by the combined dissolved solids in molasses. Maybe more sugar could be added after a few days of fermentation but the upper limit of Molasses in the original wash is right around 36 fl oz/gallon, or 281.25 ml/Liter

My Rhumbline equation is based on 36 fl oz max Molasses per Gallon of water or a maximum of 2.5 lbs of sugar per gallon. It's close enough. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Right now, i'm fermenting a batch... 5 gallons water (18.93L), 3000 ml granulated sugar (6.5 lbs), 2300 ml feed stock molasses(80 fl oz), yeast and half a cup of mashed up berries for nutrient. It's been going for about five days and seems to be tuckering out some. I think I'll cool it tomorrow night.
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Capt. Happy

Postby Zombie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:33 am

There is a complete post you can sink your teeth into. Numbers don't lie.

It is Very kind of you to take the time to research all of that and share what you found. I have just began going back to school, (Organic Chemistry/Chemical engineering), and one of the basics is solubility. You can add anything to anything all day but there is a point where saturation is reached so adding more is useless, and has no (or ill) effect.

In not knowing about the agnostic power of yeast, I see now plainly why it is important.

What impresses me the most here is you took the time to figure out why, and how a recipe works then crafted your mash.
There is a formula to everything, The formulas are based on percentages. The percentage is based on numbers, and once again... Numbers don't lie.

I enjoyed you post Capt. Salute! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Zombie

Postby Capt. Happy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:26 am

Zombie wrote:There is a complete post you can sink your teeth into. Numbers don't lie.

It is Very kind of you to take the time to research all of that and share what you found. I have just began going back to school, (Organic Chemistry/Chemical engineering), and one of the basics is solubility. You can add anything to anything all day but there is a point where saturation is reached so adding more is useless, and has no (or ill) effect.

In not knowing about the agnostic power of yeast, I see now plainly why it is important.

What impresses me the most here is you took the time to figure out why, and how a recipe works then crafted your mash.
There is a formula to everything, The formulas are based on percentages. The percentage is based on numbers, and once again... Numbers don't lie.

I enjoyed you post Capt. Salute! :handgestures-thumbupright:

It's the only way I could approach the Mysteries of Rhumb without one of those battery tester things. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Capt. Happy

Postby Zombie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice!

Zombie

Postby Foxfire » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:36 am

I am seeing that a lot of the feed molasses has proponic acid added as a preservative, will this creative any issues?
Foxfire

Postby Zombie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:20 pm

That's a real interesting question.
Apparently it is a by product of sugar processing, and will be found in Molasses.

I just looked up the chemistry quickly, and if you had too much of it in your feed grade, it can precipitated out by diluting the molasses w/ water, and adding salt. Just siphon of the wash, and leave the acids in the bottom.

Quote:
"Propionic acid was first described in 1844 by Johann Gottlieb, who found it among the degradation products of sugar. Over the next few years, other chemists produced propionic acid in various other ways, none of them realizing they were producing the same substance."
http: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propionic_acid

The Wiki explains it pretty well.

Just back space the link back to the http:, and it will work.

Zombie

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:57 pm

Since ethyl propionate, an ester of ethyl alcohol and propionic acid, is one of the "rum oils" giving run some of its characteristic flavor, propionic acid is a good thing in rum. Be grateful.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Foxfire » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks for the info, in looking at the jug it states "83 brix" and 43% sugars as invert". This being the case, what would be the dilution ratio with water and would any added extra sugars be necessary?
Foxfire

Postby Zombie » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:34 am

There are lots of Rum recopies, but going strictly by the numbers... If one weighed Lb. of Molasses is 43% sugar (lets say 50% for ease)

I'd go between 4 - 6 weighed lbs. per gallon of water.

Basing this on 2 -3 lbs of sugar per gallon.

Thank God for spell check. (not) I typed mallasses, and spell check said "Mallomars". I'm deleting spell check!

Zombie

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:09 am

Foxfire wrote:Thanks for the info, in looking at the jug it states "83 brix" and 43% sugars as invert". This being the case, what would be the dilution ratio with water and would any added extra sugars be necessary?

Because molasses is notoriously high in unfermentable sugars that nonetheless contribute to the Brix rating, I think that translates as "43% fermentable sugars", so to get a good concentration, say ~21 Brix, dilute 3:1 with water.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Foxfire » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:26 am

Bob, thanks for the info, that 3:1 ratio being volume or weight?
Foxfire

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:05 am

With the caveat that this is all pretty ballbark, 3:1 by volume should be fine.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Capt. Happy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:47 am

Math is hard..

After sailing up and down the rhumb line, tween Port Molasses and White Sugar Bay, for a few months now, while making the best of the tides and wind, flavor and quantity, weathering all manner of equations and constructs both metric and the Queens, I've come to a simple conclusion.

5 gallons of water from the creek, 1 liter of molasses, 1 gallon of sugar, a ripe banana, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1.5 oz yeast.

Use much more molasses and production drops off. Use less and the flavor drops out. A full molasses wash was strictly disappointing due to the lower quantity of rhumb it produced.

I usually get 3.5 quarts between the clouds that is very fine indeed. One run and done. Maybe Heaven smells better, but I doubt it.
Capt. Happy

Postby Zombie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:38 pm

There has to be a reason they call; you Capt. Happy!

Zombie

Postby aliced » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Yer sayin yer ferment gits weak more the dunder yer pit in. Yer should be tossin some boiled clam shells in with it.
aliced

Postby SBB » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:28 pm

where is Zombie the rum guru now ? he seems to have fled the scene ?
SBB

Postby Otago Elvis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:38 pm

He's around the traps Salty, just under one of his pseudonyms..
Otago Elvis

Return to Rum Production