the modern distiller

need a advice

Bubble-Pot? Pot-Column? Bubble- Packed column? Don't know quite what it is?
Here is the place for the weird and the wonderful.

need a advice

Postby vita19 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 am

Hi guys ! What do you think, does this idea have future ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vita19

Re: need a advice

Postby Bear River » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:29 am

IMO, no.

Why is there 1/2" irrigation running through the column?
Bear River

Postby JayD » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:06 am

I would not use the piping through the column, it an old world thing...I would make up perforated plates to slide into the column, as your already plan on utilising a deflag for reflux, add a shotgun product condenser, then you will have a bubbler minus the sight glasses...
JayD

Location: Tasmania, home of world class Whisky...jaydboka@gmail.com, Travelling.

Postby vita19 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:48 am

JayD wrote:I would not use the piping through the column, it an old world thing...I would make up perforated plates to slide into the column, as your already plan on utilising a deflag for reflux, add a shotgun product condenser, then you will have a bubbler minus the sight glasses...

I have no problem with building plate column. I just wonder if this type of the still will operate the same way as plated column still.
vita19

Postby JayD » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:56 am

The design you put forward would strip flavour from your wash, where as a plated column produces a lighter full flavoured distillate. I feel the two most important still types you can use are a pot still and a a plated column...the one the drew would be better for neutrals. it would work. how efficiently is the question?
JayD

Location: Tasmania, home of world class Whisky...jaydboka@gmail.com, Travelling.

Postby vita19 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:16 am

JayD wrote:The design you put forward would strip flavour from your wash, where as a plated column produces a lighter full flavoured distillate. I feel the two most important still types you can use are a pot still and a a plated column...the one the drew would be better for neutrals. it would work. how efficiently is the question?

ok thank you
vita19

Postby Tassie Tiger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:58 am

Looks like a good design if your building a reflux for neutrals, it may work as an average pot if there's no water flowing through the pipe work, would have to try it out in that mode to see if you get enough flavour carry through.
CHEERS TT
Tassie Tiger

Postby jokkman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:43 am

Sorry to say but this design isn't god for neutral, its an old design (running cooling pipes thru the column, labmaster style ) and is not the way to go for neutral.
if you are going for just neutral you have VM, LM, ARC columns that does the job really god and for flavors you hav potstills, plated and so on.

If you want a small and "something that everybody doesn't have" stillhead, try the FOA stillhead. They are really good for flaverd spirits, and if you put a 1 - 1,5 meters column with SS scrubbers in under you get neutral to :-)
And if you build a ginhead and put it under the FOA head you got Gin, flavored vodka... do I have to say more ;-)

(If you are interest in the FOA stillhead just pm me and I draw a build plan for you)

Cheers
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing....
jokkman

Postby vita19 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:34 am

yes please, if it's possible.i would like to see how it looks like.
vita19

Return to Hybrid Stills