the modern distiller

3 In bubbler for my VM modular

Bubble-Pot? Pot-Column? Bubble- Packed column? Don't know quite what it is?
Here is the place for the weird and the wonderful.

3 In bubbler for my VM modular

Postby brantoken » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 pm

take at look at this bad boy, Gave me fits getting it all in there. Everything off the shelf

bubbler in a 3x2 in.jpg

Used the following stuff.
3 in sanitary orfice plate ( modified with 3 new holes and 1 old hole widened
1/2 stainless tube
McMaster Carr pn 97622A126 External Self-locking Retaining Ring, Stainless Steel, For 1/2" Shaft Diameter ( to hold pass through on top)
McMaster Carr pn 5577K204 Fda Viton Fluoroelastomer O-ring, As568a Dash Number 204 ( to seal bubblers(3 each) from bottom and to hold pass through on bottom side of plate( 2 each)
copper 1 inch Pipe cap for the vapor seal on the bottom of the pass through
this was pop riveted with mcmaster carr pn 97525A300 2Each 18-8 Ss Blind Rivet With 18-8 Ss Mandrel, Domed, 3/32" Dia, .032"-.125" Material Thickness

The height of the downcomer can be adjusted by sliding the retainer ring down, to go up you need a new retainer ring.

And of course three steel dragon bubblers.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by brantoken on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
brantoken

Re: 3 In bubbler for my VM modular

Postby Tracker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 am

Hey, if it floats your boat = +1
If you built it= +2
If it works = +3
If you like it = +4

I would say that all round, you are on a winner.
Cheers and a great big thumbs up smiley to boot.
StillDragon Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer v1.10
Tracker

Postby brantoken » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 am

The orifice plate came with the Rubber bonded to it. I'm far too lazy to vulcanize rubber on metal, done it before at a medical place I used to work.
Not entertaining...and very expensive, tooling, heated pressure plate press ....etc.
brantoken

Postby brantoken » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:59 am

Ok got a chance to run the bubble plate. I ran it for kicks with my 3 "dephlegmator and in my VM. 2 different batches with 2 different results. It did not behave as I expected at all. Both were ran with a 30" column with a 2"X 3" adapter to a keg. The dephleg run only had a big wade of freshly cleaned copper mesh. Yes it was intended as a flavored spirit. I was shooting for nuetral with the VM

For the VM I actually dropped abv for some reason. ABV locked in at 90 to 91 no matter How tweaked the controls.
In addition, the production rate actually went down from a full ss scrubbie pack. Previously with just a packed column I was running at 94 %. couple of things I did could be considered stupid, I pushed the pack right on top of the bubble plate. Do I need a gap here? I also had a screen between the column and a T used for VM take off, It was bubbling. What was really odd was that when I turn the power up production rate actually went down with no increase or decrease in abv.

I guess this is column flooding?
I am using a large reflux condenser, It is a 1/2 stainless gas line it is coiled about 5 times so lots of reflux think a smaller one would help?

Next with the dephlegmator, It actually ran much better, ABV went up, I was actually able to maximize flavor by dumping the coolant out of the dephleg and running hearts very fast , got a good flavor profile from it . I run coolant for heads and tails. It push up the abv and I get the heads compressed a bit and
I get a lot more good production out of tails.

Any help appreciated
Last edited by brantoken on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
brantoken

Postby brantoken » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:34 am

Thanks a gap it will get. Not sure how yet , but isn't that the fun part?

I understand the restriction concept, I am wondering if I will have enough cross sectional area in three bubble caps?
brantoken

Postby brantoken » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:02 am

I can't imagine there would be a power limit unless the pressure differential forced all the liquid up and out the down comer. The vapor speed should pick up in the bubble plate. Also It ran great with a large volume of production with the dephleg in place. Made a hell of bubbling noise , Even my deaf self could hear it.
Made the darn column vibrate.

But the copper mesh with in the column in the dephleg mode was not packed in place.

I like the gap idea. That seems be the simplest answer. Ocam's razor save me again.
brantoken

Postby brantoken » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:41 am

Thanks

That is interesting. So when you say boil you mean vapor flow rate through the pool liquid on the plate top?
I am running propane with a monster burner, can't stand slow heat ups.

I did have the burner turned about as low as you could get it for the Dephleg run and still got a great product rate. It was more tolerant of me kicking the power up, as well.

I have a 8kw pool heat exchanger on the whole system , Even with my burner turned all the way up I can't get even a bit of vapor past it. So I got no real idea of how much power I am putting through the column. I will have to measure my product flow rate and calculate from their next to get an idea of where I am in the power spectrum.

So the liquid is just suspended in the media, hanging there due to the power coming through the column. This is hard to imagine. I have read the description of this flooding process on some other forums, Can't say I have a full grasp. Guess I will go read some more.
brantoken

Postby rossco » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:39 pm

The sieve guys maybe around 4kw but I'm not 100% positive on those numbers as I never took much interest. I do know with SPP installed in my 3" column I max out about 2.2kw before flooding starts to occur.......scrubbers about 3.5kw. That's with a single plate in the bottom.

This is really interesting, last run I used my 1metre 2" double bok, with two plates in the torpedo at the base. The column did not seem to want any more than 1.5kw which made for a really long run. However the up side was excellent heads compression and very little tails. The run was the heads jar and the useable portion of the run was huge. I have not really had much success with re-distilling heads and tails before, the vodka is some of the best I have ever made.

For the VM I actually dropped abv for some reason. ABV locked in at 90 to 91 no matter How tweaked the controls.
In addition, the production rate actually went down from a full ss scrubbie pack. Previously with just a packed column I was running at 94 %

My experience was remarkably similar to this. I expect it was for the same reasons.

Would have used my 3" column but it won't fit under the roof with the plates installed. :grin:
rossco

Return to Hybrid Stills