the modern distiller

Hybrid config

Bubble-Pot? Pot-Column? Bubble- Packed column? Don't know quite what it is?
Here is the place for the weird and the wonderful.

Hybrid config

Postby Nake » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm

I have made a few adjustments in my config over the last few runs. Each time I have gained ABV and takeoff speed.

I am working with 3" copper column and won't be going bigger anytime soon due to the $ commitment so far.

I am trying to maximize the takeoff speed now cause 6-8 hours a run is getting cumbersome. 4 hours would fit better in my family life. :grin:

My aim is to pull max volume( over 1 gal/hour) of 95%-96% ABV with a 3" dia column with 60" of lava rock ( and a couple sst scrubbies to hold the lava rock)and my vm splitter.I have a 5500 watt controller on a 26 gal kettle. I am real close to achieving this with 25gal of 10-14% wash. Resultant ABV output would be 2.5-3.5 gals of product per ferment.

I have a 4" bubble tee and caps coming to add to the bottom of my column and can add a 3" perf plate just above that. Will the addition of these two plate config take me to the promise land and could I add these plates and remove 24" of lava packed column and still reach this output and ABV?

Also,
If adding the two plates and leaving 60" of rock. Would 96% be feasible? I am going to have to cut a hole in the roof soon if I keep stacking.

I feel like the mechanics of the process are in order,however the art and experience are eluding me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have indeed read the hybrid section cover to cover and see some intriguing results with thumpers,torpedoes and bubble balls. But haven't seen max output and max ABV discussed on one column config.

Cheers,
Nake
3"Potstill
3" VM
3" VM Splitter
4" hybrid
Nake

Re: Hybrid config

Postby Prairiepiss » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:15 pm

But haven't seen max output and max ABV discussed on one column config.

You haven't because they are still quite new. And they haven't been pushed to their limits and or optimal use been found yet. And I think there are to many little factors that can change the outcome. To have a definitive answer to this question.

Will it help you achieve your goal? Yes. Will it get you to your goal? Can't really answer that. I would say if you are already close to that goal. Then there is a good chance this could get you there if not maybe beyond that goal. But its not a guarantee.
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Return to Hybrid Stills