the modern distiller

Design plan questions?

Bubble-Pot? Pot-Column? Bubble- Packed column? Don't know quite what it is?
Here is the place for the weird and the wonderful.

Design plan questions?

Postby sandsquirt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:59 am

I've been searching for some time now and still have a couple of questions. Let's start with the idea and work toward build plan. I'm still very new with this and have been picking up as much as I can from a few sites. I just haven't found the answers that I need to get started.
I want to start with a keg and add a couple of elements. Moving up, my plan was for copper scrubbers packed into a stainless steel tri-clamp column. Next I would like as many as 3 bubble cap plates mounted into 3" sight glass style tri-clamp circular column sections. I like the SD 3" dephlegmator and 2" long product condenser with parrot.

My first question is. Would I be better to have a longer skinny copper packed section? My first thought was 2 feet of 3". Then I changed my mind and started thinking 3 feet of 2" packed with copper. I believe the vapor would move slower in the 3". Is there an advantage to one or the other? Why?

#2 Should I build it copper packing section or sight glass with plates below the dephlegmator? I think sight glass is the way to go.

I would like to keep this modular. I could remove packing and have a pot still, run just plates or run packing and plates.
I did search several sites also, I couldn't come up with the answers. I need to toss this one to the experts.
Thanks
sandsquirt

Re: Design plan questions?

Postby Bushman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:20 am

sandsquirt wrote:I've been searching for some time now and still have a couple of questions. Let's start with the idea and work toward build plan. I'm still very new with this and have been picking up as much as I can from a few sites. I just haven't found the answers that I need to get started.
I want to start with a keg and add a couple of elements. Moving up, my plan was for copper scrubbers packed into a stainless steel tri-clamp column. Next I would like as many as 3 bubble cap plates mounted into 3" sight glass style tri-clamp circular column sections. I like the SD 3" dephlegmator and 2" long product condenser with parrot.

My first question is. Would I be better to have a longer skinny copper packed section? My first thought was 2 feet of 3". Then I changed my mind and started thinking 3 feet of 2" packed with copper. I believe the vapor would move slower in the 3". Is there an advantage to one or the other? Why?
larger the diameter the faster, higher the column equates to purity
#2 Should I build it copper packing section or sight glass with plates below the dephlegmator? I think sight glass is the way to go.
this is a personal choice site glasses have a cool factor involved.
I would like to keep this modular. I could remove packing and have a pot still, run just plates or run packing and plates.
I did search several sites also, I couldn't come up with the answers. I need to toss this one to the experts.
Thanks

easiest way to go modular is also more expensive but you can connect the different sections with ferrules and tri-clamps
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby sandsquirt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:13 am

Thanks Bushman
My original idea was 3"x24" packed column thru plated sections to dephlegmator . Then reduce to 2" and go on thru to parrot.

Now 2"x36" packed column, 2"x3" reducer, plated sections to dephlegmator. Out to parrot.

It will be all tri-clamped together. Local supplier.

I hope that I have this right. The longer 2" packed tube provides more reflux.

I need to figure out how to post pic's next.
sandsquirt

Postby Bushman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:57 am

sandsquirt wrote:Thanks Bushman
My original idea was 3"x24" packed column thru plated sections to dephlegmator . Then reduce to 2" and go on thru to parrot.

Now 2"x36" packed column, 2"x3" reducer, plated sections to dephlegmator. Out to parrot.

It will be all tri-clamped together. Local supplier.

I hope that I have this right. The longer 2" packed tube provides more reflux.

I need to figure out how to post pic's next.

The longer packed column provides more reflux, diameter deals with speed.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby BadAssBass » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:33 am

You hit on the same idea as what I built. The idea is to run the dephlag for a cm column and not run it for a pot still. I still haven't added a dephlemator yet though. I have a 2"x40” packed column. So far, it seems that you can leave the packing in with no issues and use as a pot still. If I run slow on a cold day, I can take my fores and heads off around 87% without a dephlemator. I'm curious about what it will do with one. Other than it being gigantic, I don't see a downside.
BadAssBass

Postby sandsquirt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:39 am

I'll have to find pic's of your set-up.
sandsquirt

Postby crozdog » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:59 am

check out my 4 plate 4" hybrid viewtopic.php?f=16&t=558

It's all SD bits with a 500mm section packed with scrubbies. I run the plates below so I feed the packing with highly enriched product. The site glasses also show me when I can start to expect tails.

Love this setup. When I run a TPW through it i get really clean product.
crozdog

Postby sandsquirt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Nice set-up. It looks like my original 3"x 24" of copper scrubbers would do well also. I need to compare pricing to make my decision.
Thanks
sandsquirt

Postby wv_cooker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:34 pm

According to the calculators that I have used else where, it takes 11 hetp's to reach azeotrope with a 2" packed column using stainless or copper scrubbies. That equates to 44" of 2" packed column, it takes 48" of 3" packed column. I have 36" of packed column using copper mesh with a 4" by 6 1/2" long 12 tube Dephlegmator and I get consistant 95%ABV runs. Good enough for me for now. I know, I know a Dephlegmator on an LM type rig, hmmmmm. :confusion-confused: Well the Dephlegmator is built for the changes that are comming soon. ;-)
wv_cooker

Postby Prairiepiss » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:05 pm

If you are using a shotgun condenser on a VM. It's a shotgun reflux condenser not a dephlegmater.

The difference between 2" and 3" packed column is speed. 3" will be faster then 2".
I am not the distiller your were looking for!
Prairiepiss

Postby sandsquirt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:27 am

I chose to go with 24"x 3" copper packed column. I also grabbed (2) 3" sight glass sections to connect also. I'm in the process of adding the 3" perforated plates in the sight glasses.
I plan on 55 2mm holes per plate with 3/8" downcomers. Does anybody see any flaws in this plan?

I also want to be able to remove most of the copper scrubbers from the column from time to time and run this more like a potstill. The still is made from ss304. The only copper is in the scrubbers and the 2 plate sections. What is the minimum copper needed? Would it be ok to run without the plates and just a couple copper scrubbers to retain the flavor?
sandsquirt

Return to Hybrid Stills