the modern distiller

Off-set thumper under column

Bubble-Pot? Pot-Column? Bubble- Packed column? Don't know quite what it is?
Here is the place for the weird and the wonderful.

Off-set thumper under column

Postby shadylane » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:40 pm

If an offset thumper is placed under a column what should the volume of the thumper be in relationship to the boiler ?
The thumper has a downcomer back to the pot. How high in the thumper should I put the downcomer?
In other words how much liquid should I maintain in the thumper?
10 gallon pot, 5 gallon corny keg thumper and a 2-1/2" column.
shadylane

Re: Off-set thumper under column

Postby myles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:43 am

The normal rules don't always apply, because of the column height issue. If you can manage to get the max height in the thumper, higher than the max height in the boiler, then you can use a relatively small thumper with an overflow back to the boiler.

However, if your column means that your thumper is lower than the max height in the boiler then you need a bigger thumper.

Work out which situation applies to you first, then it is possible to calculate the correct size.
myles

Postby shadylane » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks for the reply. The thumper is already higher than the boiler. Height isn't an issue, I have 18' before anything hits the roof.
shadylane

Postby shadylane » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:51 pm

I've been considering using two or three, corny thumpers in series. With downcomers and then a dephlig above the last one. Kind of a hillbilly bubble cap still. But the column builds using lava rocks also makes me want to use a thumper under a short fat column. The most likely out come of this will be more butchered Corny's in my strap pile. A little older and possibly a little wiser.
shadylane

Return to Hybrid Stills