the modern distiller

Any iStill 50 / iStill Vision Users?

Bubble-Pot? Pot-Column? Bubble- Packed column? Don't know quite what it is?
Here is the place for the weird and the wonderful.

Any iStill 50 / iStill Vision Users?

Postby pidass » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:44 am

just curious if there any iStill 50 users around that may have tips/tricks they have learned from using the istill.
pidass

Re: Any iStill 50 / iStill Vision Users?

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:13 am

If you don't get any takers on this thread, just PM Odin on this forum. He's the guy wot makes 'em.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby Odin » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:17 am

Hi Pidass, what do you want to know?

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby pidass » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:19 am

I was just curious how others are using it. stabilizing times / end temp / fores temp / making cuts / etc
pidass

Postby CRMI0408 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:58 am

pidass wrote:I was just curious how others are using it. stabilizing times / end temp / fores temp / making cuts / etc

Evening Pedals. I'm just waiting on delivery of my iStill 50 and will be putting it straight to work. More than happy to share my experience on above after a few runs.

Will post back here?!
CRMI0408

Postby Odin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:55 am

And I think I can help you speed up the learning curve. I am making whiskey, brandy, vodka ... well pretty much anything with my i50 ...

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Odin

Postby CRMI0408 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:00 am

Odin wrote:And I think I can help you speed up the learning curve. I am making whiskey, brandy, vodka ... well pretty much anything with my i50 ...

Regards, Odin.

Odin, have you used the pure whiskey method (Ian Smiley and your HD post) on your iStill50? Not to hijack the thread but was wondering as this is one of the first things I intend on trying!
CRMI0408

Postby Odin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:07 am

I have and it was good. Must say for wood oaking & ageing, normal, potdistilled whiskey is better, so that's what I do right now most of the time. With my rye bread recipe. Great, great, whiskey, if you can leave it alone for 3 to 4 months.

Odin.
Odin

Postby pidass » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:54 am

Odin wrote:And I think I can help you speed up the learning curve. I am making whiskey, brandy, vodka ... well pretty much anything with my i50 ...

Regards, Odin.

any tips you have for making whiskey would be awesome as that's my main course right now.
pidass

Postby Odin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:21 am

Okay, here we go. Make a mash. The iStill won't help there. ;)

Do a 1 1/2 distillation approach.

Like this.

Put 40 to 50 liters of mash in the boiler. Potstill mode. Menu options: end temp 99.5 C, Fores 76 C. Stabilization time 1 minute. Fores cut only, no fores & heads. She'll heat-up then switch from 100% to 50% power. Small fores cut is taken (good to clean out the column).

Now production starts. Push the power button until you get 100% power input (it's a strip run, right?). Now do check the menu again and go to 2. end temp. Check it. 1 minute of stabilization is not enough to get an accurate azeo reading, so it will be too high. Means end temp will also be corrected. Dial it back to 99.5 or close to that. Let the run continue.

You will end up with 8 to 10 liters of 40 to 50%, depending on wash abv. Low wines.

Empty the boiler, etc.

Now, for the next run: load the i50 with those low wines. And now add fresh wash, until there's 40 to 50 liters in the boiler again. Go to the menu. Option 7: reset to factory settings. You now get fores at 78.5 and 30 minutes of stabilization prior to heads.

Choose potstill functionality, no carbon filtration. Fores & heads removal. She'll heat-up. Fores are taken. Stabilization for 30 minutes. Now for 15 minutes take 3 drops per second of heads. Totals around 0.25 liters. She will stabilize again for 15 minutes and take a late heads cut. Probably 0.2 liters. After that she will switch to production. Lower power input from 50% to 38 to 40%. Oh, and you will still have to find the sweet spot for when tails arrive. Probably 94.5 to 95.5 degrees C, so just dial in 95.5 as End Temp but start tasting at 94.5.C. You will now know how to dial in the tails cut for the next run.

This will give you around 65% strong hearts cut. As close as we can to barrel ageing, without having to water down.

I personally use like 10 to 15% of backset from the striprun to start up the next fermentation. Do watch the pH though.

Hope this helps.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Odin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:53 am

Pidass, we are thinking of creating a forum where iStill users can share experiences, recipes, menu options, etc.

Something small.

On the other hand: there's quite a lot of English speaking distillers now, that use our equipment, so maybe it is time to start setting that up.

To be continued.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Odin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:44 am

Odin

Postby pidass » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:45 am

Odin wrote:Okay, here we go. Make a mash. The iStill won't help there. ;)

Do a 1 1/2 distillation approach.

Like this.

Put 40 to 50 liters of mash in the boiler. Potstill mode. Menu options: end temp 99.5 C, Fores 76 C. Stabilization time 1 minute. Fores cut only, no fores & heads. She'll heat-up then switch from 100% to 50% power. Small fores cut is taken (good to clean out the column).

Now production starts. Push the power button until you get 100% power input (it's a strip run, right?). Now do check the menu again and go to 2. end temp. Check it. 1 minute of stabilization is not enough to get an accurate azeo reading, so it will be too high. Means end temp will also be corrected. Dial it back to 99.5 or close to that. Let the run continue.

You will end up with 8 to 10 liters of 40 to 50%, depending on wash abv. Low wines.

Empty the boiler, etc.

Now, for the next run: load the i50 with those low wines. And now add fresh wash, until there's 40 to 50 liters in the boiler again. Go to the menu. Option 7: reset to factory settings. You now get fores at 78.5 and 30 minutes of stabilization prior to heads.

Choose potstill functionality, no carbon filtration. Fores & heads removal. She'll heat-up. Fores are taken. Stabilization for 30 minutes. Now for 15 minutes take 3 drops per second of heads. Totals around 0.25 liters. She will stabilize again for 15 minutes and take a late heads cut. Probably 0.2 liters. After that she will switch to production. Lower power input from 50% to 38 to 40%. Oh, and you will still have to find the sweet spot for when tails arrive. Probably 94.5 to 95.5 degrees C, so just dial in 95.5 as End Temp but start tasting at 94.5.C. You will now know how to dial in the tails cut for the next run.

This will give you around 65% strong hearts cut. As close as we can to barrel ageing, without having to water down.

I personally use like 10 to 15% of backset from the striprun to start up the next fermentation. Do watch the pH though.

Hope this helps.

Odin.

good info there. much different stripping procedure than I've been doing. I'll give this a go with my next runs of sweetfeed.

One trick I've been doing is choosing to do Carbon Filtering but I took off the factory tube and put on a long one that would go into my carboy(bypassing the carbon filter). That way if I wasn't around when it switched over to production run it will continue going. Does running pot still mode + carbon filtering mode use any different algorithm than no carbon filtering mode?

That reminds me, I also need to get the copper SPP cleaned and the icatalyst put back in before my next run. I've forgotten about it the last couple times.
pidass

Postby Odin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:39 am

Algorithm is the same, taps are different. I always bypass the filter with a long hose and choose "carbon filter" in the program. That way the heads tap is for fores & heads, and hearts comes out through the other tap.

Regards, Odin.
Odin

Postby Zombie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:56 am

Just my 2 cents Mr. Odin...

I believe a forum is a must have for your products. "Critical mass" is needed but I think creating the forum will attract that "mass", and benefit everyone.
Adding just a few sub forums to attract folks into the "High Tech" aspects of distilling will broaden your base. Perhaps software people or PID users...

Of course it will all be on you, and yours to get this off the ground. More time than money but even if you just post up a few "blog" type entries, sort of instruction sets (just as you did here), and have your Email set to notify of responses... I think it will only help everyone.

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Postby Odin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:19 am

I agree, Zombie! And we are diving into it as we speak. It should be up and running in a few weeks.

Regards, Odin.
Odin

Postby Odin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:39 am

Here's a link to a first classification:

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... t-concept/

Regards, Odin.
Odin

Postby Zombie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:43 am

Great for ya! Please be sure to leave a door open for us humble "pot" stillers.

Zombie

Postby Odin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:28 am

Sure! Hey ... our stills even have a potstill program!

Odin.
Odin

Postby Zombie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 am

I'll run a batch of wires off my pressure cooker, and I expect to see your hardware here by 1:00pm tomorrow. Tick tock... 120volt right?

Love ya Odin.

Zombie

Postby pidass » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:44 pm

Odin, any work to make the computer user upgradable? I understand the effort that goes into making programming changes/testing (I am a programmer myself) but shipping/upgrade costs are prohibitive to a 'home distiller' like myself. That being said, I'm excited about future upgrades as I've considered this a long term investment.

BTW, I'll be happy to beta test any software / upgrades ;)
pidass

Postby Zombie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:17 pm

There ya go... An interface dongle, and on line firmware. Heck, go open source, and let the community develop for you. You could fly these "kits" out the door for all column 'stillers.

Zombie

Postby Odin » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:31 pm

How about this? The WiFi/Blue Tooth power controller is ready. And we are working on a tablet. So ... imagine that in the future, you don't need that fixed computer but just a tablet. Or our tablet. You start it up, see if there are any new patches, look if they are interesting for you, and of so, you purchase the latest software. Also, you can now save various recipes and settings. And you can use the tablet (equiped with camera) to Skype with us. We can look into your run and settings and guide you. We can take over the iStill and do the run for you.

2016, I guess.

Odin.
Odin

Postby Zombie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:12 pm

Man... You lost me in the sarcasm... I thought you were serious.

You know it has to be just like you described (except the upgrades need to be free). I'm laughing too hard to think. Remember where you got all these ideas.

Love Santa!

Zombie

Postby Odin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:32 am

Zombie wrote:Man... You lost me in the sarcasm... I thought you were serious.

You know it has to be just like you described (except the upgrades need to be free). I'm laughing too hard to think. Remember where you got all these ideas.

Love Santa!

I am not being sarcastic, Zombie, but 100% serious. These plans is what we are working on. For a while now, and we had other projects like our masher/fermenters and the iStill One that got priority.

Regards, Odin.
Odin

Postby Zombie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:18 am

That's Fantastic Odin!
I was the one being sarcastic... Yep. You have the master plan. The way Tech. is going, the still will be making your appointments, and plane reservations. Hell, It'll be ordering it's own grain bills, and bottles! :handgestures-thumbupright:

I always love good news. You made my week. :grin:

Zombie

Postby Odin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:58 am

Or, to paraphrase one of our customers: "Odin, if you can make that thing give BJ's too, I will kick out my girlfriend!"

;)

Odin.
Odin

iStill Forum

Postby Odin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:19 am

We just started the iStill Forum! For customers or people generally interested in our products. People that want to know more about our stills, our fermenters, our mashers. People that want to use their iStills to the max, and use and share each other's experience.

"What menu options do you dial in for whiskey making?", "What program do you use for rum?", "How do you dial in temperatures in your fermenter?", "What temperatures do you mash your rye at?"

If you are interested in our stills, if you are interested in bringing new distillation theory and designs and help our craft forward, please join!

Regards, Odin.
Odin

Postby Zombie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:59 pm

LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :techie-computer:

:happy-jumpeveryone:

Zombie

Postby JayD » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:25 pm

I removed the link to the other forum, Odin has plenty of links to outside sources from Modern, I think...imo, asking for members from here is pushing things a little far...while I wish Odin's new venture all the best. terms of registration/links
JayD

Postby Zombie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:00 pm

:handgestures-thumbupright: I didn't think that one thru. :doh:

Zombie

Return to Hybrid Stills