the modern distiller

Still Design

Bubble-Pot? Pot-Column? Bubble- Packed column? Don't know quite what it is?
Here is the place for the weird and the wonderful.

Still Design

Postby shadyshlim » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:29 am

Hey Guys,

I'm wondering if I could get some advice for a newbie on a still build? I figure a bunch of you have gone through the same thought process I'm going through at one time or another, and come to conclusions based on experience. I have my boiler set up (sanke keg with element controller), and am now starting to work on my 2" column. I'd like to be able to do both neutrals and dark liquors. I guess the meat of my question is, in a reflux column, can one still get the same quality of dark liquors out of it without any packing, running in a pot still mode, as one could get out of a straight pot still? If the answer is no, then I'd assume its best to just build two separate columns and be done with it? However, If the quality of darks is the same (or debatably close enough), then various designs could come into play. What I don't want to do is fill up my garage with lots of copper and expensive/time consuming complicated designs with T's and valves just to have a single column, but ultimately provide no real benefit....or worse yet yield half-assed results for both neutrals and darks. Any guidance would be most appreciated. Thx.
shadyshlim

Re: Still Design

Postby JayD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:05 am

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupright: make a boka pot still by having the reflux head removable, please swing by our introduce yourself forum
JayD

Re: Still Design

Postby Zombie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:37 am

Modular plate columns are the best of both worlds but they are time consuming to build.

If you enjoy the building process, and have all the basic tools for fabrication... That is the route I would suggest.

Ps... a 4" column is also what I would do. Run times are faster, and the build is actually easier (if you build a plate column).

Most commercial distillers are using plate stills today. It cuts down on the need for multiple distillations as in a classic pot still.

I may need to be "put down" soon.
Zombie

Return to Hybrid Stills