the modern distiller

Still Spirits Rum (50187) Yeast Q

a Northern California Brew shop

Re: Still Spirits Rum (50187) Yeast Q

Postby DuckofDeath » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:56 am

Doesn't the Still spirit yeast poaches have nutrients added. It's not just yeast I think.
DuckofDeath

Postby DuckofDeath » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 am

Seems large but every turbo I have seen has been huge for a 5 gallon ferment
DuckofDeath

Postby Stinger » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:44 am

minime wrote:They don't clear well (because of the PH buffers) but all the hype about turbos causing off flavors is bullshit

I agree that they don't clear well. I also agree that there is a lot of hype out there. On "another site" I've often read "I've never used a turbo, but..... "(you can fill in the various damnations - most of which are extreme.)

minime wrote:They're no better or worse than anything else but they are not all created equal.

That may be the case, maybe I haven't tried enough of them. BUT, when I stuck to the letter of the instructions for Alcotec 23% (dextrose, turbo-carbon in the fermenter, temperature of the fermentation, 2-pack turbo-clear, carbon filtration, etc.) I could NOT get anything like neutral out of a 2" boka at 95+% following a strip run.

The same was true for several SS "Triple Distilled" fermentations I completed many years ago.

minime wrote:I've settled on the alcotec 48 hour for most of my ferments............ I've even pot stilled with this stuff and it's an excellent yeast. I never ferment over 14% potential and typically around 12%.

I bet that's why your results are good - especially when stretching a 23L pack of turbo to make 69L. I have never used a whiskey turbo or a rum turbo, but many others whose opinion I respect have claimed that they are good.
Mini, do you prefer turbos to other washes - like 10-12% TPW, Wineo's, etc - when some of those may cost less? Maybe I should re-visit turbos. :confusion-confused:
Stinger

Postby Stinger » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:16 am

Mini, I will revisit the turbos. Do you use regular white sugar with these? - I'll buy dextrose if you think there is any real advantage.

One recipe I make regularly for a vodka is AllBran. 12%abv ferments out in 3 days using bakers yeast. Haven't had a stuck fermentation or any other problem yet - but I've only fermented maybe twenty or twentyfive 23L fermentations. ;-)

Smaug, I'm curious to read your observations and thoughts on this rum yeast. Is this the one?

http://stillspirits.com/us/distillers-y ... yeast.html

It might have been my imagination, but I thought I had improved yield when I added amyloglucosidase to a bakers yeast rum fermentation.
Stinger

Return to NorCal Brewing Solutions