the modern distiller

Beer barrel still

Solutions and methods for overcoming various build issues will reside here. Good idea Maheel

Beer barrel still

Postby udkas » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi
I am looking for help in making a beer barre still ,I've got barrel but that's it, have been so tips by a fellow distiller ,but I'm looking for plans etc where to buy stuff as I live in tassie any help would be appreciated
udkas

Re: Beer barrel still

Postby kimbodious » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:38 am

If it is your regular 50 litre stainless steel beer keg you are off to a great start. Carefully and safely remove the valved seal, google for youtube videos to show you how. Once that is removed you can simply clamp your still to the flange with the ferrule using 2" triclamps. From there you can use a reducer to step up say from 2" to 3" if you decide you want a wider column.

How are you going to heat it? Gas burner or internal electric element? Once again use google to check the pros and cons for both methods.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby bigfoot » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 am

What type of beverages are you looking to make? This is really the ultimate 1st question and close behind that is budget.
If you will be making whiskey or bourbon type drinks then predominantly, you'll need a pot still which is the cheapest option. If you looking to neutrals or gins or high end abv's, a reflux still will be required, a little more expensive.
If your wanting to make both - then you'll be looking for a modular unit or top end - bubble plate column.

I'm a convert of Elec heating as I am very safety conscience-I don't like naked flames around abv that can hit 94%...
I've watched the James hunt/lauda movie lol I'd look for 2 elements and guards - typically 1500-1800w each (I think about $150 should get two these days). Can your location power supply handle this? If not, then you might want to consider only one Elec element and then gas to kickstart the gold wash maybe...options are a plenty.

Treat your keg build like a simple boiler. You need to be able to get in and out (fill port, clean and drain) you don't want to be trying to lift 50l of spent wash, so think about where drain plug might go - underneath? Then you need legs to get clearance. On the bottom side? Then you'll have a couple litres always stay as the bottom is concave and you'll need to empty last little bit another way.

It's the start of a fun journey - don't be overwhelmed, just ask the Q's.

Bigfoot.
bigfoot

Postby JayD » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:14 am

And your journey begins, ask away, research and you will soon realise great equipment, great drinking spirits are in short reach however in the beginning it seems so far away. So if I may suggest use the kiss principle on all you build, that is to say the easiest most practical way of getting the job done whilst maintaining your safety and spending as little fun tickets along the way. One of most important factors is safety first then patience building, as it takes time as you want your gear to be great on the eye and safe. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Then if you havent already sourced one you need fermentors to ferment in, so try and time the finish of your build to coincide with the end of your build, I would recommend a TPW for a sacrificial run to clean out any left over residue from your build, mark this as Junkerhol, then a light acid clean and a good steaming for a final clean out...then its time to get serious as your new unit will be ready to distill keeping distillate.

You have to consider consider it will be up to you for the quality of the distillate you put away to mature so you will have to become aquatinted with "cuts" that is to say what you keep and what you keep to re-run in the next batch...this done by smell, and taste, the first distillate to come off your new still is called "fores" discard, some keep it but i always discard it, then comes, "heads" you clearly mark all that comes off your still what "cut" it was. Then comes "hearts" this is the best part of the run, then "tails" to keep this simple in the beginning we will only keep our "hearts" portion of your run until you gain more experience...this once more done by smell, then you let it air for 24 hrs and decide on your final cut, some might be rejected or some may be included in your final product...now how to identify these cuts by smell, fores and heads smell like acetone, just like you smell when your wife is doing her finger nails, a distinct smell, hearts lacks the smell of acetone a hard one to describe depending on what you are attempting to make, generally a pleasing smell unless your making Rum. Then comes the end of the runs known as tails, this smells like wet cardboard, dirty socks and wet dog.

Then how do you age your properly cut distillate? well you can put it into a glass carboy and add dominoes to it, of your preference or if your have a barrel age it that, it could be AO or EO it can be pre used which can add small hints of different flavours known as "notes" so choose your ageing wood wisely as you do not want to go to it and think to yourself this tastes like sewerage, which it can if you you dont think! so be smart.

Then once its aged, and this decision will be yours, it is time to drink it responsibly. like i said in the beginning, just ask there's plenty of good folks here ready willing and able to help you. One final thing, this is a hobby for personal use! do not sell period! do not blab it about as loose lips sinks ships ;-) and please be carefull.
Hope this helps. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Keg boiler easy peasy...the most simplest form is using the existing 2" original keg coupling and a 2" tri clamp and seal, place a burner under this a walla a boiler, or you can get fancy and modify the kegboiler with bigger fittings view port to watch the boil, drain tap and legs...so you can spend as much as you want or as little as you want to get started.
JayD

Postby udkas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 pm

thanks for advise.i am thinking of using gas to heat keg,quick question where do I buy a 2'' tri clamp and other parts I need,at the moment I just to start small then see how it pans out I want to make my own singlemalt
I have already got a 10 lt oak barrel that still have 2lt port in it
udkas

Postby bigfoot » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:48 pm

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Sanitary-Tri-C ... iid%253A22

Is fine for cheap Tri clamps or for another source google larger brew shop websites.
bigfoot

Postby udkas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Need option on keggomax cm reflux still pros and cons please
udkas

Postby JayD » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:03 pm

JayD

Postby bigfoot » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 pm

The lieberg that comes with the unit JD has put up in the video - is good enough to also work on a reflux still, i have a similar JD made pot still come boka reflux. It's a 5 min job to change between the two and the boka will run 94 % all day long. That little pot still is perfect for starter whiskey, bourbon or rums...
bigfoot

Postby kimbodious » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:39 pm

udkas wrote:Need option on keggomax cm reflux still pros and cons please

I had one, learned to make okay spirits from it but sold it. They are not the most versatile design and are fiddly to operate.

Start out with a pot still first even better if it is a modular design that can be reconfigured later to use in other designs!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Return to How To Build