the modern distiller

using tap water

anything to do with the mash or wash.

using tap water

Postby motormouth1162 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:07 am

I've got a question can you use tap water for your mash run I have a friend who says if you boil it for 15 minutes you can any advice thank you
motormouth1162

Re: using tap water

Postby res » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Probably varies quite a bit from place to place. I'm in Melbourne and I'm told our water is pretty good, I used it straight, unfiltered and unboiled in the early days and don't recall any problems. Nowadays I use a two stage filter, .5 micron carbon and sediment filters. Seems to do a good job. I use the same water for diluting the finished spirit as well.
Good luck with it :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
Winston Churchill
res

Postby motormouth1162 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Cool thank you I have a whole house filter system it catches everything I need to test my water tho and see
motormouth1162

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:44 pm

I reckon if it's good enough to drink for you it's good enough for the yeasts
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:11 am

If it's chlorinated, you'll need to get rid of that. Maybe that's why your friend suggested boiling it. You can also just let it sit for a couple of days in an open container (bucket) and the chlorine will simply evaporate from the water. I've also heard of people using vitamin C to remove it, but I don't know anything about the process.

Other than removing heavy metals, the filtering probably removes some beneficial things and probably should be avoided. If you have a faucet somewhere on the backside of your filter, use that. You might also want to check the PH of the water. In most cases, the water will be around PH neutral or a little alkaline. Probably best to mix all your ingredients first and then adjust the PH down to around 5.5, or so.

The quality of the water for a ferment doesn't necessarily translate to the quality of water for drinking. Some folks have had good results from roof runoff that has a little bird shit mixed in.

Good luck with it and stay safe.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Swedish Pride » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 am

ah yes, remember something about that now, I guess I'm just lucky
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby Fraser » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:43 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on water hardness? I've read somewhere that if your water tests too hard it could be an issue either in fermentation or dilution. We have very hard water coming out of our well here, so just to be safe I'm getting a softener to removed some of that calcium. Not sure it would be a big issue either way, but it might be something to look into.
Fraser

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:11 am

Fraser wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on water hardness? I've read somewhere that if your water tests too hard it could be an issue either in fermentation or dilution. We have very hard water coming out of our well here, so just to be safe I'm getting a softener to removed some of that calcium. Not sure it would be a big issue either way, but it might be something to look into.

I don't think the calcium is a big problem for fermentation. Just means making a PH adjustment. The biggest problem with well water is iron. Seems that yeast don't like it. I would suggest that you have your well water tested and if it has a high iron content, do some conditioning to remove the iron. Otherwise it's probably OK as is.

The only problem I have with my well water is hydrogen sulfide (sulfate?) which makes it smell like rotten eggs. I draw my water from a faucet located before the water conditioner. I run it into open 5 gallon buckets and let it sit for a couple of days until the smell goes away.

I also have another water source which is a public spring tapped by a piece of 1" PVC that runs out of the side of a mountain. I've collected it a couple of times into 5 gallon plastic water jugs and used it in fermentations. It works pretty good, but I can't tell any difference between it and my well water. Tastes better, but ferments about the same.

Edit: I use distilled water to dilute (temper) my likker.
S-Cackalacky

Postby motormouth1162 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Thank you all for the information
motormouth1162

Return to Mashing and Washes