the modern distiller

Rockchuckers Rum talk...

anything to do with the mash or wash.

Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby Rockchucker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Inspired by Crow’s rum thread, maybe we could combine a collective individual rum technic guide. Combine dunder, ferment, yeast, technique of each members process to make a fine drop of tropical magic!




Who’s first?
Rockchucker
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Rum talk

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Good suggestion. I've only tried making rum a couple of times and didn't have much luck with it. I know it's almost a cult thing among some distillers. Would be nice to have a good broad based resource available. Maybe I could get it together enough to give another go.
User avatar
S-Cackalacky
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:27 am
Location: The Massanutten Mountain Ridge

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby Bushman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:26 am

Not sure you are looking for recipes but this one is the one I use.

Panela Rum
~4.85 gallons of water
7 lbs panela
1/2 Gallon Black Strap Molasses
1/4 tsp citric acid (with dunder)
1/4 tsp gypsum
1 Tbls red star bakers yeast

1) Bring 2.5 gal of filtered water to 180 F.
2) Remove from heat and add the 7 lbs of panela and 1/2 gallon Black Strap Molasses. Stir vigorously till panela is dissolved.
3) Add gypsum and citric acid. Stir vigorously to aerate.
4) Bring to ~4.85 gallons with cool filtered water (roughly 4.85 with head room for ferment)
5)Pitch yeast and allow to ferment.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
User avatar
Bushman
 
Posts: 1354
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:42 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Rum talk

Postby Copperhead road » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:38 am

S-Cackalacky wrote:Good suggestion. I've only tried making rum a couple of times and didn't have much luck with it. I know it's almost a cult thing among some distillers. Would be nice to have a good broad based resource available. Maybe I could get it together enough to give another go.


Would be good if we had something similar to refer to for your Rumskey you were telling me about at the other place we kick cans about.....
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
User avatar
Copperhead road
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Rum talk

Postby Copperhead road » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:40 am

Copperhead road wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:Good suggestion. I've only tried making rum a couple of times and didn't have much luck with it. I know it's almost a cult thing among some distillers. Would be nice to have a good broad based resource available. Maybe I could get it together enough to give another go.


Would be good if we had something similar to refer to for your Rumskey you were telling me about at the other place we kick cans about.....


I think you referred to it as sweetcorn
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
User avatar
Copperhead road
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby JayD » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 am

hi fellas, do me a favour when you post a recipe to this Rum Talk, which I think is a great idea by the way...if you know the origin of the recipe please give credit to the original poster out of respect to them, then tell us how you made it into your own very special Rumbo. if you don't know sourced from the www will do. Thanks to all.
JayD
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm
Location: Tasmania, home of world class Whiskey...

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby Bushman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 am

Jay D would love to give credit but I am sure I modified several recipes on the HD forum and then made my own changes using panela instead of brown sugar which is richer in nutrients. Not even sure as changes happened over time but think I used a combination of Hookline's Rum recipe and Pugi's.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
User avatar
Bushman
 
Posts: 1354
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:42 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby JayD » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 am

Bushman wrote:Jay D would love to give credit but I am sure I modified several recipes on the HD forum and then made my own changes using panela instead of brown sugar which is richer in nutrients. Not even sure as changes happened over time but think I used a combination of Hookline's Rum recipe and Pugi's.


Alls good...if it just developed over time, thats good too.
JayD
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm
Location: Tasmania, home of world class Whiskey...

Re: Rum talk

Postby S-Cackalacky » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Copperhead road wrote:
Copperhead road wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:Good suggestion. I've only tried making rum a couple of times and didn't have much luck with it. I know it's almost a cult thing among some distillers. Would be nice to have a good broad based resource available. Maybe I could get it together enough to give another go.


Would be good if we had something similar to refer to for your Rumskey you were telling me about at the other place we kick cans about.....


I think you referred to it as sweetcorn

Sent you a PM so as not to take this thread off-topic.
User avatar
S-Cackalacky
 
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:27 am
Location: The Massanutten Mountain Ridge

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby crow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:56 pm

how I do mine these days
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4909#p51347
Its tricky for me to say exactly where mine comes from because its just how I do it. That said its very similar to a simplified hook rum using tomato paste instead of DAP and a bit less rigmarole, its also not all that different from Mac's recipe from AuD. Like I said my recipe and method is not that different from many others and after adjusting different recipes until i found what suits me is how it came about. It was the result of working with mediocre quality molasses and although I'm getting a bit better stuff now I don't see any reason to change.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
User avatar
crow
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: Central Highlands Victoria Aust.

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby The Baker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 am

Hi, Crow,

You are not all that far from me so I would be interested to know what molasses you were and are using.
It could be the same as I would get, maybe retail from Murray Goulburn (Saputo now?) or from a wholesaler not that far from you whose name I forget.
Or a bigger drum from the suppliers in Queensland, my son used to get a big drum of methanol for biodiesel from them, he knows a carrier who gave him a good deal on transport.
I only ever tried the one maybe 20 litre container of molasses a few years ago, it probably ended up then as poor quality 'vodka' but I have been distilling again for awhile and have made some good brandy from old wine.... I'm improving!

Geoff
The Baker
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby crow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:09 am

Yeah mate often wondered where ya from. Blokes name is Jim Smith, Central Highlands molasses supplies. I think I posted his number and name here somewhere. If not I surely will do so :handgestures-thumbupright:
Edit
I should add he does me 25 litre tubs for $20 including tub but bulk is much cheaper. Basically he does me a bit of a favour where he has a tub at his house and I can pop in when convenient drop the cash up and pick it up as he could be off hauling molasses out of town or interstate. It was actually a Croweater who put me onto him as he supplies most of the CRT and other AG joints there (but not my local CRT that had krud molasses).
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
User avatar
crow
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: Central Highlands Victoria Aust.

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby crow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:36 am

OK looked around in likely spots and it seems I didn't post it so as soon as I find his business card I will post those details, I did actually get his permission to do so several years back.
I also noticed in this section there is a specific rum sub-forum called rum production that these last couple of threads prolly should have been posted in :oops: , job for the mods now.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
User avatar
crow
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: Central Highlands Victoria Aust.

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby The Baker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:00 pm

Crow,
Thanks.
I live on the 'other', inland highway to Brisbane, between Shepparton and the big river.

There was another fellow, based on maybe Newstead or somewhere like that?

Geoff
The Baker
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: Rockchuckers Rum talk...

Postby crow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm

He live in Ballarat but he has a farm just out of Newlyn where his molasses storage is, yeah its not far from Newstead and not far from me but as I never know when he's gonna be there is just easier for me to go to his house which is not a lot further in the other direction and I can just leave it til I need to head to town :handgestures-thumbupright: .
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
User avatar
crow
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: Central Highlands Victoria Aust.


Return to Mashing and Washes

  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests