the modern distiller

Peach brandy Moonshine

anything to do with the mash or wash.

Peach brandy Moonshine

Postby Copperhead road » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:24 pm

I got given 12 boxes of peaches yesterday and have not previously looked into how to play with fruit. They are very ripe and so far all I have done is quarter them all and removed the seeds, then covered with water.

Will let them sit for 5 days, not sure how many litres of water to use per kilo of fruit. I want to add a bit of sugar to up the yield a bit but would still like to stay in the boundary’s of a brandy.... :confusion-confused:

Any thoughts or advice is most welcome. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Stillbilly wars is the sound of a propane jet in the dead of night"
Copperhead road

Re: Peach brandy Moonshine

Postby The Baker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi, Copperhead,
Others with much more experience will have good advice.
But I would add no more water, and just enough sugar to make the water you have added slightly sweet.
And I would add (if you still have them) at least a quarter of the kernels.

Are they in fermenting vessels or maybe tubs? If in tubs I would take off my shoes and crush them the way grapes used to be crushed. You will have enough sweetened water to start a ferment, with the juices you have produced.
Then you have the option of adding some yeast or waiting for natural fermentation to start; I THINK there are yeasts on the skins....

Lucky you!!

Geoff
The Baker

Postby crow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 pm

fill with water til they are just or almost covered, make sure they are not floating :lol: you will have to taste them to know how much sugar they have. Work out ya final volume decide what you think is a desirable yield and go form there. On average a ripe peach should have 8 grams of sugar per 100 grams of fruit so from that you can calculate the yield by adding the amount of water added to the weight of fruit then add the amount of sugar to get the abv you desire. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,we borrow it from our Children.
native American proverb
crow

Postby crow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:56 pm

OK well posted the same time as the baker but I would add some water as it just makes everything a lot easier. Fermenting fruit juice is find if ya got a press but fermenting marc is a bloody nightmare just on pulp and you for sure would need pectinase. Another thing is peaches have no vitamin B they do have magnesium but ya might want to add a vitamin tablet and will if adding sugar.
PS fruit is better on marc than juice for brandy I reckon, stronger flavour.
native American proverb
crow

Postby crow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm

How to calculate if and when to add sugar
OK so with peaches...... 100 KGS of peaches would be 8 KGS of frutrose that on its own would yield 4.7 but it would be very unlikely to ferment out to that without some water. So let's surmise you top up to water level maybe a total volume of 150 liters so now you are going to get maybe 3% abv. OK so now ya need to calculate how much sugar to make up a desired yield, maybe let's say about 7 to 8% . Right so you need to calculate the difference to get to this FG and that is 5% more so for 5% in 150 litres would be around 12 kgs of sugar but the five KGS of sugar will change the volume, not by 5 litres as dissolved sugar doesn't work that way. You can work it out exactly or call it close enough but if ya want to be pedantic there is a formula for working out the dissolved (in water) volume of sugar by weight
native American proverb
crow

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 am

Copperhead, Crow's recommendation might be the best in your situation - having no experience with fruit and the urgency of boxes of ripe fruit. That said, if you think you might want to continue with fruit brandies, you might want to look into gearing up for it - a grinder and a press. The ideal way to make a brandy is with pure juice and a cooler fermenting yeast (something like EC-1118). A couple of crushed vitamin tablets per 5 gallons (19L) will help to get the yeast population up. I use pre-natal vitamins.

Don't know about peaches, but with apples, I like to let it sit in the fermenter for some time beyond when it's finished. I let it go for about a total of 1 month. I don't really know why - just because Jimbo said so I guess. Something to do with malic acid or some such.

Good luck with it.
S-Cackalacky

Postby crow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 am

Yeah not sure I would always go along with that. Fermenting on pulp might be old fashioned and a ton of work racking but you get a ship ton of flavour out of that marc you are never going to see using juice. Granted working with juice is way and the hell easier but easier is not always better, just my two cents anyways :handgestures-thumbupright:
native American proverb
crow

Postby Otago Elvis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 am

Do you like Southern Comfort, CHR?

Southo is made using peaches. I've made a heap of it. It's excellent!

I'll dig up the recipe and post it :handgestures-thumbupright:
Otago Elvis

Postby Otago Elvis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 am

This is courtesy of EmptyG. Originally from HD:

Southern Comfort was first made in New Orleans by the bartender named H.W. Huron in 1870. The taste is the result of bourbon whiskey, fruit and spice. The whiskey provides the tastes of caramel and vanilla. The fruit is peach with orange and some lemon. The spice seems to be just cinnamon. It comes in 38%abv and 50%abv strengths. Could one emulate the bartender Huron?
For 1 litre of bourbon whiskey you could experiment by macerating for 10 days and then straining:
1-2g cinnamon
3 strips of orange peel
1 strip of lemon peel
1-3 halved peaches
1/2 cup sugar
caramel coloring

From my own experiments, this is a good way to mask a not up to par bourbon.
You can vary the quantities to suit your tastes, it still has that SoCo character.
I reduced the amount of sugar, as I always found the original to be too sweet, it comes up quite nice not as sweet.
Its good for those first gens of UJ that can be a bit flavourless.

The ladies like it. A good way to get some free "shed time" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Have a nice day.
Otago Elvis

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 pm

16 hours later they have turned into peach bucket bombs , fermenting that hard it blew the lid clean off one bucket.
I have added no yeast!!
Will mix them up with drill and get them into a big fermenter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Copperhead road

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Otago Elvis wrote:This is courtesy of EmptyG. Originally from HD:

Southern Comfort was first made in New Orleans by the bartender named H.W. Huron in 1870. The taste is the result of bourbon whiskey, fruit and spice. The whiskey provides the tastes of caramel and vanilla. The fruit is peach with orange and some lemon. The spice seems to be just cinnamon. It comes in 38%abv and 50%abv strengths. Could one emulate the bartender Huron?
For 1 litre of bourbon whiskey you could experiment by macerating for 10 days and then straining:
1-2g cinnamon
3 strips of orange peel
1 strip of lemon peel
1-3 halved peaches
1/2 cup sugar
caramel coloring

From my own experiments, this is a good way to mask a not up to par bourbon.
You can vary the quantities to suit your tastes, it still has that SoCo character.
I reduced the amount of sugar, as I always found the original to be too sweet, it comes up quite nice not as sweet.
Its good for those first gens of UJ that can be a bit flavourless.

The ladies like it. A good way to get some free "shed time" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Have a nice day.

Thanks for sharing Elvis, I am definitely going to try this one and sounds delicious.
I think the girls might like it also and that’s aways a plus when you mix alcohol with women :laughing-rolling:
Copperhead road

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Thank you Crow and Cackalacky also :bow-blue:

Going to transfer these into a big fermenter and decide how much sugar to use...
Is raw sugar better for brandy or white sugar.

Should I add 1 vitamin B tablet crushed up to each 20L bucket???

I do want to stay in the parameters of brandy and not a peach sugarhead so to speak. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Copperhead road

Postby crow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 pm

white, you don't want any rum type flavours
native American proverb
crow

Postby Copperhead road » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 pm

crow wrote:How to calculate if and when to add sugar
OK so with peaches...... 100 KGS of peaches would be 8 KGS of frutrose that on its own would yield 4.7 but it would be very unlikely to ferment out to that without some water. So let's surmise you top up to water level maybe a total volume of 150 liters so now you are going to get maybe 3% abv. OK so now ya need to calculate how much sugar to make up a desired yield, maybe let's say about 7 to 8% . Right so you need to calculate the difference to get to this FG and that is 5% more so for 5% in 150 litres would be around 12 kgs of sugar but the five KGS of sugar will change the volume, not by 5 litres as dissolved sugar doesn't work that way. You can work it out exactly or call it close enough but if ya want to be pedantic there is a formula for working out the dissolved (in water) volume of sugar by weight

I forgot to weigh the peaches :angry-banghead:

That being said each 20L bucket was full of quartered peaches with 5L of water added just enough to cover them.
How much sugar would you usually use to each bucket so I stay within the boundaries of a brandy and not a sugarhead .

Thanx for your help Crowman it’s much appreciated.. :idea:
Copperhead road

Postby crow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 pm

calculate it so ya final gravity equals 7 to 8% and you'll be fine that's tricky as its started fermenting so you can't take a SG reading and pulp tends to mess that up anyways but if you work it out on 8 grams sugar per 100 grams it will be close. Just deduct the amount of water added when you weigh it and you'll know much much natural sugar you got.
native American proverb
crow

Postby The Baker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Copperhead said,'How much sugar would you usually use to each bucket so I stay within the boundaries of a brandy and not a sugarhead .'
Answer, very little sugar.

Won't matter if you weigh it or not.
Have you ever tasted a sugar wash near the beginning of fermentation? You may have been surprised how sweet it does NOT taste.
Taste the liquid you have fermenting. Add ONLY enough sugar to taste slightly sweet. No weigh, no worries!

What you are doing/ have done is to add just a little water so it starts to ferment more easily and is easier to handle. Then you are sweetening THAT WATER just enough to be about as sweet as the peaches.
High theory, that.
To me it looks just great.
For flavour ad back (crushed) kernels.
Or/ and you could also probably use kernels to make an Amaretto (usually made with Apricot kernels, probably peach would be nice.)

Now you have to think how to distil it.
I have distilled similar fruit ferment in a pot still with a gas burner but go easy on the fire so it does not burn.
If you have a thumper you could put water in the boiler and the fruit in the thumper?

Geoff
The Baker

Postby crow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Point taken but it depends on what yield you are comfortable with. I calculate that wash roughly at 3 to maybe 3.5 % and that is a little low even for a pot still, no water added would ave a higher brix that I calculate to finish at 4.7 max which is except able but would be a right bastard to work with and pectinase would be a must (prolly not a bad idea anyways as we are not talking about much water here).
Not a big fan of crushed kernels quite apart from the cyanide they have a bitter taste that carries over, I use various kernels to flavour tia maria and I little goes a long way.
native American proverb
crow

Postby Copperhead road » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:18 am

crow wrote: pectinase would be a must (prolly not a bad idea anyways as we are not talking about much water here).

Is Pectinase something you get from HBS as I have never heard of it.
Apart from the obvious fruit, water, sugar and yeast is there anything else also that should be adding to the fermenter. Lemon juice, vitamin B tablets ect...
Copperhead road

Postby crow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 am

you will not need lemon juice but peaches have no vitamin B so that would not be a bad addition to keep the yeast happy. Pectinase is something from a HBS or any supplier of preserving outfits and accessories. Its an enzyme that breaks down pectin basically liquefying the fruit and releasing a lot of flavour. The only possible issue is the yeast may or may not convert more of that pectin to methanol, I think either way that is a bit of a non issue.
native American proverb
crow

Postby crow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 pm

So got a picture of this wash yet?
native American proverb
crow

Postby Copperhead road » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Pectinase peach pulp after 48 hours
Copperhead road

Postby Copperhead road » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Transferred 120 L into big fermenter and mixed
Copperhead road

Postby Copperhead road » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Start gravity 1050, probably not accurate because hard to take reading in pulp :laughing-rolling:
Copperhead road

Postby Copperhead road » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Added sugar and pitched yeast at 25 degrees.
In case you don’t have access to large quantities of peaches like I did, here is what I added per 20L bucket.

20L bucket of peach quarters
5L of water (let them soak for a week)
1.5 tbsp of Pectinase (for 48 hours before adding yeast)
1.5 kg of white sugar desolved in 1L of boiling water
4 grams of ec1118 champagne wine yeast.

Thanks for all your help Crow :bow-blue:
Copperhead road

Postby crow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Yep those pulp readings are a bit of a guessamate :lol:
native American proverb
crow

Postby Rockchucker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Great thread! Thanks to all who are contributing.
Rockchucker

Postby Copperhead road » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 pm

24 hours later after pitching yeast here is the result, Does this look normal????

Some of the bubbles are the size of a rockmelon :laughing-rolling:
Copperhead road

Postby crow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Yep it will soon settle but a healthy ferment can get going like that. Let it settle a little before stirring or it may foam up and go everywhere :handgestures-thumbupright:
native American proverb
crow

Return to Mashing and Washes