the modern distiller

Types of molasses

anything to do with the mash or wash.

Types of molasses

Postby Lupus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi,
I am looking at putting down a rum as one of my first attempts at distilling. I have been reading GingerBreadMan's thread on HD discussing the differences between blackstrap molasses and fancy molasses.

While I am sure I will need to try both for myself at some stage, I was thinking of putting down a fancy molasses as my first attempt, given the less than favorable description of the smells given of during fermentation of blackstrap.

I know of the rum stillers in Australia use feed grade blackstrap molasses, and there is a thread as to where I can pick them up in my hometown of Brisbane. My question is the availability of fancy molasses in Australai. I don't think I have seen it in stores under the name "fancy molasses". Is it sold under a different name down under? And where would I be able to find it?

Thanks

Edit: think I may have found the answer later down the thread? Is fancy molasses treacle??
Lupus

Re: Types of molasses

Postby scarecrow » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:38 pm

Where I am Fancy grade is about $8 per Kg. Blackstrap is less than a dollar per Kg.

Apparently fancy food grade gets a better product, but at the high addition rate per batch it gets too expensive for me.

Treacle, molasses and golden syrup all belong to the "what can we do with all this left over thick stuff" after squeezin' all the goodies out of sugar cane. :D

It's all yum.

scarecrow
scarecrow

Postby Lupus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Scarecrow,
So any of these by products can be used?
Lupus

Postby scarecrow » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:48 pm

I use blackstrap molasses.
Best to stick with this or fancy for makin' rum.

I think molasses is called treacle over in the UK. From memory it is the same stuff (just different name)
Golden syrup is a type of inverted sugar syrup.

scarecrow
scarecrow

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:28 pm

I know that blackstrap now has less sugar in it than the molasses used to make rum 200-300 years ago, so it doesn't bother me a bit adding sugar to my (agricultural) blackstrap washes. I find that even diluting the flavor a bit still gives me stronger rum flavor than some enjoy. For me, I like very flavorful hearty rums, and I get that from blackstrap and white sugar. YMMV
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby Lupus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Okay, did a bit more online research, trying to find a definition of blackstrap molasses, treacle and goden syrup.

From various sites and wikis, it appears that treacle is a version of molasses.The Brits refer to it as treacle, while the Yanks molasses. (slang not mean't in a derogatory fashion).

The following cooking site defined the different syrups and further defined treacle into dak and light
http://www.foodsubs.com/Syrups.html

Dark treacle = UK version of blackstrap molasses
Light treacle = golden syrup = Cane juice.A syrup made from evaporating ace juice until it is dak and syrupy. (which was how the thread on HomeDistiller described fancy molasses) This seems to sort of be verified by the CSR description of golden syrup which defines it as a blend of cane syrups.

Now, the problem of any interest research is verifying your results. :) comments or confirmation from anyone? :)
Lupus

Postby Distill8 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:47 pm

law-of-ohms wrote:just use good ol blackstrap and dont add extra sugar

Keep it simple

1/4 Molasses
3/4 water
1/8 cup of bakers yeast per 25L

Let her rip

L-O-O,
In another post you have suggested 1/3 molasses to 2/3's of water.
Which do you find best for rum.
Distill8

Postby Divey » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:30 am

I spoke to a chap at Bundaberg Sugar yesterday and asked him about the difference between Refinery Molasses (Food Grade) and Blackstrap (Stock Feed Grade). He basically said that the Blackstrap Molasses is made in the Sugar Mill and the Refinery Molasses is made in the refinery, (funny that).

So I asked him the biggie, "What do the folks at Bundaberg Rum use"? ........Yep, I was surprised.....sulfured stock feed grade. Now I'll have to get some of the crap from the Produce Store and compare the difference.
Divey

Postby Granpappy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Ya know, a lot of misguided importance is put on these types of things - now it is the 'sulfur' in molasses - As an animal nutritionist I have access to a few little things that give breakdowns and molasses (184 separate tests) gave a return of 0.906% content -
Granpappy

Postby Divey » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:05 am

Granpappy wrote:Ya know, a lot of misguided importance is put on these types of things - now it is the 'sulfur' in molasses - As an animal nutritionist I have access to a few little things that give breakdowns and molasses (184 separate tests) gave a return of 0.906% content -

Sulfured molasses is made from green cane stalks in the sugar mill and sulfur dioxide is used to sanitize the juice.
Divey

Postby Lupus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Out of curiosity, feed grade molasses, is it just molasses? Or has there been other stuff added for stock? :)
Lupus

Return to Mashing and Washes