the modern distiller

Polishing Kettles/kegs

Polishing Kettles/kegs

Postby TheGekko77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:23 am

I have a 1/2 bbl keg coming my way to be converted into a boiler. It is in pretty bad shape cosmetically. No dents, just stickers and dirty stuff.
I was looking aroung the net to see if and how people cleaned them up and I found this site:
Edit link leeds to a spam engine.
It details how to get a mirror finish on these(or any other SS keg). The author said it took him about 3 hrs per keg to get to mirror finish. I think it looks awesome and will probably try this.

Here is the pic from the site showing the transformation:

hltshine2.jpg

hltshine1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JayD on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited link as it takes you to a spam engine/ please send a new link via pm and I re insert it to this post.
TheGekko77

Re: Polishing Kettles/kegs

Postby TheGekko77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:29 am

Is that needed to be able to maintain temp?
TheGekko77

Postby TheGekko77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 am

Oh, OK...good idea...maybe polishing is a bit overkill, huh?!
TheGekko77

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 am

Unless your woman likes shiney.... mehbe :mrgreen: if she likes shiney polish your ass of brother.... :lol:
FullySilenced

Postby Al Q » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 am

The shiney one looks like something worth stealing out my shed, Ill take the dull one any day. :grin:
Al Q

Postby Aussiedownunder » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am

Shiny ones are good for wank value :oops: mines almost polished 8-) :P
If its free pick it up
Aussiedownunder

Postby FullySilenced » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 am

ADU you talking about your willie..... or your boiler....being almost polished.... :-o
FullySilenced

Postby Al Q » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19 am

FullySilenced wrote:ADU you talking about your willie..... or your boiler....being almost polished....

heheh :grin:

Just for clarification, I'm with mini, as in insulating the boiler.

I'm apparently getting almost 50% efficiency which is very good for any heating device. (although I may be incorrect in how that is calculated)
Al Q

Postby Aussiedownunder » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 am

FullySilenced wrote:ADU you talking about your willie..... or your boiler....being almost polished.... :-o

No good polishing my willie it never gets used anyhow :oops:
If its free pick it up
Aussiedownunder

Postby Beerswimmer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 am

Mine has a nice layering of brown and black burned on goo. I need insulation more than polish!!
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby TheGekko77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 pm

No woman here...Single again after 22 years!
I could turn the whole 3200 sq ft house into a distillery if I wanted to! ;-)

FullySilenced wrote:Unless your woman likes shiney.... mehbe :mrgreen: if she likes shiney polish your ass of brother.... :lol:
TheGekko77

Postby TheGekko77 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 pm

@bentstick...you might be onto something...(Gekko77 walking away, rubbing his hands, laughing)......Bwahahahahahahaha!

bentstick wrote:Sounds like you might have plans Gekko! 8-)
TheGekko77

Postby DrWho » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:44 am

Have to like threads such as this, going from polishing kegs to polishing... :lol:

As for getting the goo and stickers off the keg, lay the keg on it's side on a piece of cardboard. Take a piece of paper towel and wet it with some goo remover. Lay it on a spot of goo and leave it sit for a while. This softens the goo making it easier to clean off. Just keep going at it until the whole keg is nice & clean.

Once cleaned wipe the entire keg down with a clean rag and some acetone.

Of course once this was all done, one got covered in the metallic bubble wrap and the other in a few layers of corrugated cardboard... :|

???
DrWho

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 am

I'm not big on decorating my tools, especially my stills. Starting with solder dribbles, and a few years of oxidation, my stills look like piles of horse turds.
This has one great benefit. When someone sees my garage door open and sees horse turds therein, they just look at something else. If they looked in and saw a sculpture in gleaming copper and stainless, they'd say, "Will you look at that! That must be some kind of still. The bastard that lives there must be a criminal so let's have him arrested".
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby DAD » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 am

I did clean the stickers and glue off my kegs and I wash the carbon off the bottom. But I also feel dirty is a good disguise!
DAD

Postby Beerswimmer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:49 am

punkin wrote:
Beerswimmer wrote:Mine has a nice layering of brown and black burned on goo. I need insulation more than polish!!

Eeerr he's gunna insulate his willie, a rubber no doubt...

BurnedOnGooOnTheWillieOuchPunkin

Haha!!!! The doc said that the shot would clear it up!!!

Burned on mash, molasses, bits of grains, and green patina on my copper. Kinda like camouflage for my garage!
UT ALII VIVANT !!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby jake_leg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 pm

Polishing up kegs actually makes them radiate less heat, so it's a form of insulation. A coat of BBQ paint is a much easier way of making kegs look good IMO. Mine are getting wrapped in reflectix.
jake_leg

Postby PPete » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:12 am

I got my keg from out the back of my brother in laws shed, he had been brewing stout in it, last time used about 6 or 7 years previous. When I found it there were weeds on the top part about 300 mm high and looking pretty healthy, it still had about 5 litres of stout inside. It has taken some time to clean up but there is no way known it would come up like these shiners, but my keg has a previous life, and some character and history. I love it as it is! :grin:
We know the known knowns and we know there are known unknowns, it's the unknown unknowns we don't know that are a worry!
PPete

Postby TheGekko77 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 am

Damn...I didnt think about the camouflage angle!
Mine is stayin' as is!

Burned on mash, molasses, bits of grains, and green patina on my copper. Kinda like camouflage for my garage![/quote]
TheGekko77

Postby froot » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:13 pm

Only a newb, but I looked for those damn gator pads everywhere, when I started brewing afew years back and again now, can't get 'em here in Australia, and they aint avaliable online, that is except for one ebay seller who wants me to pay the price of shipping the White House ( yes the whole thing) for one pack of 2 pads. And Gator themselves dont sell online..... shits me! oh yeah first post here, know a few from another forum, they just won't know this handle :lol:
froot

Postby edwatters » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Why not have it powder coated? Im' going to powder coat my pot still. Just for fun
It always tastes like it smells
edwatters

Postby Tracker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:51 pm

froot wrote:Only a newb, but I looked for those damn gator pads everywhere, when I started brewing afew years back and again now, can't get 'em here in Australia, and they aint avaliable online, that is except for one ebay seller who wants me to pay the price of shipping the White House ( yes the whole thing) for one pack of 2 pads. And Gator themselves dont sell online..... shits me! oh yeah first post here, know a few from another forum, they just won't know this handle :lol:

Want to let us in on your previous alias???

Cheers.
StillDragon Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer v1.10
Tracker

Postby froot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 pm

ZBob, know what your getting at. I brew 3v ag and I have found over time it's a hell of a lot easier to wash down a polished vessel than say the 18 gal keg I bought with all the dings and scratches. The other thing is if you going to spend all that dosh on SD bling,(which at those prices: bang for buck who wouldn't. I ain't a fabricator) your accessories should match.:)
froot

Postby froot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Tracker, Unless your an AHB member it wouldn't matter, Malted is the only dual member here, I am aware of that I haven't contacted. My remark was more pleasent suprise at the cross over between forums.

Edit: I have a few aliases both online and IRL
froot

Return to Boilers & Burners