the modern distiller

My Boiler Build

My Boiler Build

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi fellas, I thought since i have cheated and bought Blockhead and have not got my hands dirty by building anything I felt kinda guilty that i have not put in enough so i have decided to have a go at building my boiler x_x x_x .

My Aim is to use a standard CUB keg invert it have and haveit raised on a stand just for ease of emptying.
It will have a 1" drain at the bottom that is removable via 2" triclamp connection.
It will have a 4" ferule to support Blockhead.
It will have a 3" ssg sight fill port window.

Here is the keg and parts for build

CUB Keg.jpg

Boiler parts.jpg

I got some top advice on how to remove the keg ring on this keg from Emptyglass , :handgestures-thumbupright: these later style cub kegs have a press fit ring that is welded on and a lot of care must be taken to remove the ring so as not to cut through the actual keg.

Makes for difficult removal because it is easy to cut to deep and cut into the keg itself , anyway i just went by eye cutting at 90 deg to the keg just above the weld all the way around barrel to the depth i thought was about right. I then cut through the bottom ring so that it would spring apart but that didn't happen until i gave it a good wack with a 2 pound hammer and whoohoo it started to come apart as it turned out my judgement was not to bad had to crack most of it off, but until i finish grinding back the weld i wont be able to see how much i have under cut.

The following pics should give you an idea.

Progress so far
Cut ring.jpg

Weld edge.jpg

Bottom ring removed.jpg

Cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many

Re: My Boiler Build

Postby fifan74 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:35 pm

nice work... look forward to more pics.
fifan74

Postby 1 2many » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:51 pm

cheers fifan74

Today was a nice day out so thought i would cut the 4" hole for the still mount triclover fitting, looking at the bottom of the keg there is a raised flat spot about 2" in diameter that I used to get the keg level by putting a spirit level on top, after putting a nail under the top ring that is now holding it up i was able to square up the keg, so then put the ferule on the keg and just put the spirit level on the ferule and adjusted to square which actually centres the ferule ,cool

Leveling (Copy).jpg

Then I marked out the position with a scribe inside the ferule and made a pizza shape cuts on the raised section with a 4" angle grinder so that i could remove a section at a time.

Markout (Copy).jpg

Pizza cut (Copy).jpg
http://forum.moderndistiller.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=47&t=3024#

It did take about 1/2 hour though , when those disks get small they just explode in your face and takes a few minutes to replace the disk and I used about 12 disks so there was a bit of mucking around however it worked out ok.

Sight glass ferule will be done tomorow I hope :handgestures-thumbupright:

boiler (Copy).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many

Postby bellybuster » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:37 am

nice!!!!

Ive been thinking on an inverted keg boiler. Why svn bother taking the keg ring off? Is it in the way? Looks?
bellybuster

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:33 pm

bellybuster wrote:nice!!!!

Ive been thinking on an inverted keg boiler. Why svn bother taking the keg ring off? Is it in the way? Looks?

Hi bb two reasons it gives you room for placement of the sight glass and just a cleaner look ,actually it is a rip off of prairipiss's boiler build i thought that was real nice.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupright:
1 2many

Postby Bushman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Nice work and nicely documented.
I started my liquid diet and so far it seems to be working! I've already lost two days.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
Bushman

Postby Googe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:29 am

Very nice mate!, you've got some good skills :-). I might pinch some of your ideas one day!.
Googe

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks guys slowly but surely i will get there :lol:

I cheated and had the 2" TC end cap bored out for the elbow on the drain , it would of been a pain to grind it out myself,

Drain setuo (Copy).jpg

Drain setup 1 (Copy).jpg
1 2many

Postby Kapea » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:42 am

I'm not sure I understand. You had the tri-clamp end cap bored out? Do you mean the 2" outlet fitting on the keg?

I have a sanke keg boiler. I removed the spear and the keg was ready to mate up to a 2" tri-clamp connecter. No boring needed.

Very nice modification work on your boiler BTW. She's a beauty!
Up is away from Earth.
Down is towards Earth. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:
Kapea

Postby FullySilenced » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:26 am

the tri clamp blank... he had a hole cut/drilled in it prior to welding.....
FullySilenced

Postby cacticlayton » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:08 pm

What are you thinkin for your stand? I really like these inverted keg boilers. keep up the good work and the pics, very inspiring. Are you doing the tig work yourself?
cacticlayton

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:17 pm

FullySilenced wrote:the tri clamp blank... he had a hole cut/drilled in it prior to welding.....

Spot on FS i would have had a hard time geting through that plate so had it cut out on a lathe. :handgestures-thumbupright:
1 2many

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:24 pm

cacticlayton wrote:What are you thinkin for your stand? I really like these inverted keg boilers. keep up the good work and the pics, very inspiring. Are you doing the tig work yourself?

As for the legs i am not sure yet :lol: I will put it on bricks to start with just so i can fire it up and get my still going , i had the thought of casting some out of aluminium still thinking that way and the tig welding i am getting done for me. i do have a new tig welder but don't have gas / regulator or any tig experience so rather than stuff up i am playing safe .

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupright:
1 2many

Postby Aussiedownunder » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:56 pm

I have wheels off shoping trolleys on most of my stuff
As the add sais if you take it back the best you get is $2.00 :mrgreen: wheels are $5.00 ea go figure
If its free pick it up
Aussiedownunder

Postby cacticlayton » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:16 pm

I to am new to tig welding 1 2many, it is a lot of fun but a rather hard skill to master but I think that if we both keep practicing we will be making clean looking passes by this time next year. for now I will just try to keep from evaporating things :confusion-shrug:
cacticlayton

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Aussiedownunder wrote:I have wheels off shoping trolleys on most of my stuff
As the add sais if you take it back the best you get is $2.00 :mrgreen: wheels are $5.00 ea go figure

I like that aussie nice and simple but effective will keep in mind, however i do want to raise the keg about 300 mm

:confusion-shrug:
1 2many

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:07 pm

cacticlayton wrote:I to am new to tig welding 1 2many, it is a lot of fun but a rather hard skill to master but I think that if we both keep practicing we will be making clean looking passes by this time next year. for now I will just try to keep from evaporating things :confusion-shrug:

Yeah mate i am hanging to have a go but it is the gas issue i need to sort out , a reg is no problem but the way they have the gas hiring set up pisses me off.
:confusion-confused:
1 2many

Return to Boilers & Burners