the modern distiller

Skin fitting for drain, details?

Skin fitting for drain, details?

Postby Cag » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:35 pm

I just purchased a SS skin fitting to use as a keg drain. It occurred to me (yeah, I know, slow) I will need some sort of liquid proofing washers for it. What can I use that will be efficient but OK to have exposed to the wash? I might be able to make my own from Teflon tape, I have done that elsewhere, would that be OK in the wash? I also realised any pipe between the SS skin fitting and the ball valve will also be in the wash. I will probably use a piece of copper with ordinary plumbing fittings, the sort with the copper olives but if they are not available these days are the nylon olives OK?

My boiler is coming along, I have all of the parts for the controller, element, and a way of doing feet which does not need welding.

Cheers

Chris
Cag

Re: Skin fitting for drain, details?

Postby toil » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:09 pm

I have a 3/4" skin fitting drain on my boiler. I used a 32 mm silcone seal (I think it was a heating element seal). It was slightly too big but has worked well. The only issue I have had is when I have tried to fill the boiler with the drain valve open - not sure I can blame the seal for that but losing 5 litres of low wines gave me the shits.
toil

Postby Maheel » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:53 am

i used one of these and some teflon tape on the shank on my skin fitting and it has never leaked
https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/det ... p?PID=2842

you can also just solder the pipe to the fittings so there is no olives needed on any extensions
VM / Boka / ?
Shotgun Pot head
50L electric Kegs
and associated shed filling stuff......
Maheel

Postby Cag » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks for the replies and thanks for the link Maheel. Nice to have something sold specifically to deal with this issue. Another step towards completion, won't be long...

Cheers

Chris
Cag

Postby Cag » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Forgot to say, not set up for soldering and no experience. When doing plumbing I usually use compression fittings and that is what I intended to do here...

Chris
Cag

Return to Boilers & Burners