the modern distiller

Simple CCVM build

Solutions and methods for overcoming various build issues will reside here. Good idea Maheel

Simple CCVM build

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun May 29, 2016 6:54 am

I decided to put this here because it DOES overcome the issue of building if you don't have good metal working skills. This build basically involves ordering a bunch of parts and clamping them together. I'm in the beginning of doing this, so here's a drawing of what it will look like when finished:
CCVM Reflux Still resized.png

So far, I have the two reducers and $200 USD saved up to purchase more parts. I also already have CSST for an RC. I'll be using my old PVC liebig for the PC and the 36" section will be packed with lava rock. This design can be easily converted to a pot still by replacing the 6" top section with a 3" sanitary cap and removing the packing. This column will be connected to a 50L electric heated keg.

Anyway, I just wanted to show the newbies that they can build a decent still without a lot of building skills and a huge investment. I expect to have about $400 invested - including the keg build. I'll post back to this thread with my progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S-Cackalacky

Re: Simple CCVM build

Postby kimbodious » Sun May 29, 2016 7:09 am

Nice descriptive diagram S-Cack.
Another way to convert to a pot still would be to put in a 45 degree elbow either in 2" or in 1/2" copper. So from the top of the column you'd create a 135 degree bend (90+45) and wouldn't need to involve the tee. See my pic of Polly.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun May 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Kimbo, the beauty of this design is its modular simplicity. By removing the 6" segment and clamping a sanitary cap to the top of the tee, the vapor has no place to go but out the side leg of the tee and to the product condenser - no need for anything more complicated. BTW, the RC just simply slides out the top of the column. Just a couple simple steps and BAM, it's a pot still.
S-Cackalacky

Postby kimbodious » Mon May 30, 2016 10:36 am

The column on my pot is only 12" tall. I had to put in an extra 45 degree bend other wise there was not enough height for my Liebig. In that case I bought a 2" 45 degree bend.

On my new VM still I just put in a 45 degree bend in 1/2" pipe to be able to offset the Liebig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Well, "best laid plans", as they say. I had to spend the money I saved for this project on a family emergency. So, this is back-burnered for awhile. I'll post up gain when it's back on track.
S-Cackalacky

Postby kimbodious » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:30 pm

as we'd say down here, "what a bugger aye!" hope your emergency has settled out now!
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 am

Nothing earth-shattering Kimbo. Just a choice between a likker still and assuring a family member's safety - a no-brainer kind of thing. On top of that, the friggin' lawn tractor went on the fritz midway through mowing the lawn. So, yet another expense to deal with before I can even think about saving again. Plenty of time though. I still have my keg boiler to finish up and a controller to build. Plenty to tinker around with until I can get the CCVM parts.
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:21 am

I ordered a couple of additional parts today - figured I had better spend the money while I still have it. I ordered the 3 x 36 inch sanitary spool and the 3 inch tee. Still a lot to order when I have the funds to do so. I'm making slow and agonizing progress. This could take awhile.
S-Cackalacky

Postby kimbodious » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:27 pm

my method too, proves you will get there ..... eventually!
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:17 am

Looking for some advice - I'll be using scoria (lava rock) for packing and need some kind of retainer at the bottom of the 3" X 36" section to keep it from falling out of the column. I found this "filter" on ebay, but the cost is $49.99 USD (free shipping):
sanitary filter.jpg

Could anyone recommend something a little more cost effective? I thought about loosely packing the reducer at the base of the column with copper mesh, but I'm not sure it would hold up to the weight of the scoria.
S-Cackalacky

Postby JayD » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:37 am

Make one out of copper and make it fit between the join of the column...bit of time and a piece of copper :handgestures-thumbupright:
JayD

Postby FullySilenced » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:58 am

i used fine ss expanded metal... cut a circle 1/4" to a 1/2" larger than the column diameter... then cut a slit to the center of the circle...

bent the circle into a a cone with the slit slightly overlapping inserted it into the column cone tip up and put scoria on top...

the more you load it the tighter it gets in the column...
FullySilenced

Postby bigfoot » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:45 am

I've seen a stainless sink drainer used
bigfoot

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:09 am

All good advice. I think I've decided to go with something similar to what JayD described. I'll slit and flatten a piece of 1" pipe to make a plate and cut it into a disc to fit the inside edge of the sanitary fitting. I'll trim down the PTFE gasket that fits between the reducer and 36" spool so that the inside edge of the sanitary fitting is exposed. The copper disc will be made to sit on the exposed part of the sanitary fitting.

If I weren't on such a tight budget, I would just go with the filter I found on ebay. It would certainly be the easiest way to do it. Simplification of the build was my goal for this build, but I think this little compromise is well worth the savings. The only cost is my time.

Thanks for all the advice.
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:56 am

I received a few more parts yesterday. I have most everything now for the column, except for the tri clamps and gaskets. Here's a mock up using the parts I have:
ccvm 2.jpg

The adapter for attaching my liebig didn't work out as expected. The female union fitting nut on the liebig doesn't want to thread onto the NPT male adapter. I'll need to do a little jury rigging to get it to work.

I still have a lot to do to finish the keg boiler, build a new controller, and fabricate an RC. It'll also take some time to save the money for the clamps and gaskets, so quite a long way to go yet.
S-Cackalacky

Postby kimbodious » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 pm

Getting closer there Cackalacky! As luck would have it I have a 2" -1/2" reducer with BPT thread excess to requirements. I am going to a CCVM now for my reflux column still :

You can chase out NPT thread with a tap to BPT and get a pretty useful result that a bit of thread tape will fix, don't ask me how I know that :confusion-shrug:
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:05 pm

Kimbo, I had a 1/2" copper female adapter among my bits and pieces that threads onto the ss 1/2" NPT male adapter really well. I'll use that with a short 1/2" copper nipple soldered into the slip side of the copper adapter and the male half of a union fitting soldered to the other end of the nipple. That should give me the transition I need to attach my liebig.
S-Cackalacky

Postby masonsjax » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:38 pm

This is exactly the same rig I'm using except I made a dimroth product condenser from a sanke keg spear and corrugated SS. I soldered on a 1.5" roll-on tri-clamp ferrule to connect it to the takeoff reducer. brewershardware.com seems to be the cheapest place I could find that had all the needed parts available online.
masonsjax

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:16 pm

MJ, I would be interested in hearing about the efficiency of the dimroth. I was thinking of doing the same, but my CSST won't fit a standard keg spear. I was thinking it was 1/2" OD, but it must be more like 5/8".

I got most of my parts from ebay, with the exception of the two 3" x 2" adapters which came from Hillbilly Stills. At $10 USD each, I couldn't pass them up. I still need to order all the tri clamps and gaskets to put it together. I'll check out brewershardware.com for those.

Thanks for posting.
S-Cackalacky

Postby masonsjax » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:01 am

My CSST was half inch as well. I found out later that's inside diameter. It almost fit, but not quite. I ended up squeezing the tubing slightly all over with channel-locks to get it in there. As a condenser, this thing knocks down full power without any trouble. I'm surprised at how little the water flow needs to be to get warm output water.
masonsjax

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:45 am

I'll see what I can do. I need a new PC anyway. My old PVC liebig works well on my little pot still running on 110V, but I have a feeling it won't cut it for 5500W on 220V.
S-Cackalacky

Postby RefluxEd » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:21 pm

Sc, are you going to have copper scrubbers in the column? Copper reacts with the nasties and they fall back into the pot. The more copper the better, especially if you are doing malted barley mashes. Even then some of the nasties come through with some copper in the low wines, giving the result a blue-green colour which is removed by the spirit run.
2 inch BOKA/LM/VM
Bubbler with 14 4x3x4 inch tees and 15 bubble plates under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.
Love it!
RefluxEd

Postby bigfoot » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:11 pm

I've heard a few ppl comment on blues and greens from stripping runs but as yet, I've not seen it personally...is it a hangover from deteriorating copper or is it something else?
Question on the cc ? What is the best product condenser and why? Why do some people prefer a boka over a cold finger over a shot gun? Are the really any big differences or if they can reflux your power - then is a dingo, a wild dog, is a baby snatcher?
Cheers
BF.
bigfoot

Postby RefluxEd » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:38 pm

HI BF,
I did a distilling course with a local uni, we went to a whiskey distillery and the low wines from the stripping still were blue with copper sulphate. Barley washes are so acidic that they'll strip the copper in each run. Stripping stills have to be replaced much more often than spirit stills.
Regarding product condensers, I go for copper each time as copper has a really good heat conductance. All you can say about SS is that it has an absolutely lousy heat conductance, meaning you need a larger SS condenser for a given job than with copper.
As far as reflux condensers go, I use copper for the same reason, but also for the last place in the ascending column where you can remove sulphides. SS can't do this.
2 inch BOKA/LM/VM
Bubbler with 14 4x3x4 inch tees and 15 bubble plates under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
Love it!
RefluxEd

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:01 am

masonsjax wrote:My CSST was half inch as well. I found out later that's inside diameter. It almost fit, but not quite. I ended up squeezing the tubing slightly all over with channel-locks to get it in there. As a condenser, this thing knocks down full power without any trouble. I'm surprised at how little the water flow needs to be to get warm output water.

My results were the same, with 1/2" CSST inside 1.5" copper pipe. I was only able to get about 4' of CSST to fit inside the 1.5" (after a lot of screwing around), but it's the best stripper condenser I've ever had. The next iteration will be 6' of 1/2" CSST, twisted with copper mesh to make a "hairy cruller" condenser (like the reflux condenser on our vodka still) inside 2" copper pipe.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But..
Zymurgy Bob

Postby bigfoot » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:13 pm

What are the benefits of a boka Condensor over say a shotgun Condensor?
bigfoot

Postby RefluxEd » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:34 pm

I just built a BOKA style still for a friend. Instead of winding a coil reflux condenser I did a 2 inch shotgun condenser 350mm long with 5 x 1/2 inch copper pipes in it. It can handle more power than my old BOKA with a standard cold finger with a twin copper coil that is also 350mm long. All the joins in his are with 2 inch tri-clamp ferrules so that he can easily turn it into a pot still for stripping. He gets a reliable 95% out of it.
2 inch BOKA/LM/VM
2 inch Pot still.
Love it!
RefluxEd

Postby masonsjax » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:37 am

CSST is nice (and often preferred over copper) for various reasons:
- Affordable. Suitable lengths are available on Amazon for very low prices. I believe I paid less than $10 each for mine. I've heard of people buying huge spools of it because it's so cheap. Not so much for copper.
- Reusable. You can bend and rebend to your hearts content without damaging the tubing. Copper takes a lot of patience to wind and often kinks or breaks.
- Surface area. Due to the larger diameter and the corrugated ribbing (for her pleasure), the surface area is many times that of the equivalent length copper condenser.
- Thin walls. The tubing is remarkably thin compared with copper, thus it's inferior heat transfer properties when compared with copper are of zero concern.

True, you don't get the sulfer removing benefits of a copper condenser, but that is easy to remedy by including some copper in the ascending vapor path, such as using some amount of copper pipe in your column construction, using copper mesh packing, or a bit of mesh above/below the packing, or wedging some mesh into the condenser coils. CSST really is great stuff.
masonsjax

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Here's me nodding agreement on all points.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby S-Cackalacky » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:35 am

My apologies for taking so long to update here. I've been away on a little mini vacation for a few days.

RefluxEd, I'll be including some copper mesh (scrubbies) at the bottom of the packed (scoria) section and there will also be some copper mesh intermingled in the CSST RC - much like ZB did in his pic posted earlier in this thread.

I'll be starting out with the liebig condenser I've been using on my small 5 gallon still. It has a 1/2" vapor tube inside 24 inches of 1" PVC. The vapor tube is crimped for vapor and water turbulence. My small still runs on 110V providing a maximum of 1350 watts of power to the heating element. I'm not sure how the liebig will handle 220V/5500W of power. My plan is to build a dimroth PC similar to what ZB shows in his recent pic. It seems to be a simple build and by all accounts, is a very efficient condenser.
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:34 am

Yesterday, I ordered the remaining parts for this build - two 2" tri clamps, six 3" tri clamps, two 2" ptfe gaskets, seven 3" ptfe gaskets, and one 3" sanitary end cap. These parts were ordered from Brewers Hardware located in Huntington Beach, California. They had the best prices for the tri clamps compared to ebay. The tri clamps were $7.00 (USD) an $7.50 each.

I also found a sink strainer at a discount restaurant supply that fits perfectly in the end of a sanitary tube. It's a heavy gauge ss wire mesh that should hold the packing (scoria) in place. I'll just need to trim the ID of the ptfe gasket so the strainer can rest on the inside edge of the sanitary fitting.

After receiving the parts, I'll assemble it and post another pic. I still have a lot of other work to do before I can actually use it.
S-Cackalacky

Postby kimbodious » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:12 am

Great news, it feels like it is taken forever when you are accumulating components bit by bit doesn't it but somehow that makes it all the more exciting when the project all comes together for it's first runs. :handgestures-thumbupright:
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby Swedish Pride » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:47 pm

that CSST stuff is awesome, I did my RC there yesterday, 5 min job and half of that is because I'm an idiot.
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:05 am

Kimbo, I'm wondering about the learning curve for running this thing. I have no thermometer, no sight glass, and no amp meter on my controller. I guess I'll be making a lot of cheap neutrals until I learn to drive it. Or, run it in pot still mode.

SP, I haven't attempted to make mine yet. I figure I need to get the column clamped together to get the sizing correct. I also haven't even looked for the copper mesh I need to include in the coils. Still have lots to do.
S-Cackalacky

Postby kimbodious » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:53 am

I don't get to run the VM frequently enough to build experience plus it has been reconfigured quite a bit each time. This next time it will the first time as a CCVM and with the SD Big Baby shotgun condenser in the new role as product condenser. I guess I can dilute and re-run a few times until I am confident The biggest cost with experimenting/ learning about running the new still is in your time more so than the materials, after all you can simply dilute the product and run it through again.

I don't use a thermometer on the pot still. I reckon as long as I had lots of small numbered jars for making cuts I could run my VM confidently without the security blanket of a thermometer

On the other hand I've had problems with the column flooding and appreciate the reassurance having a sight glass give me for watching for and reacting to flooding. Punkin reckons he can tell if his column is flooding by how it sounds with the relux returning to the boiler but that requires a heap of experience. I guess you'll find out you are flooding if the product starts to come in surges (it does).

I am going to reduce the amount of packing for my next run and try it without having a centering ring and reduce the amount of cooling to the RC - yeah I know too many variables getting changed at the one time...
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby bigfoot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:33 am

I recall my first still, watching the temp like a hawk.
Then JD built me a beautiful boka modular unit and he asked if I needed a thermometer port...I was taken back as I thought how the heck...would I run without one.
I now don't use one at all. Ethanol is coming off at a determined temperature...tails comes in when I taste, smell, hear the difference. Every wash is different, every day is different. I'm happy I was guided at the time to use my own senses rather than a thermometer, as it has taught me more about destilling.
Bf
bigfoot

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Kimbo and BF, thanks for the insight into running techniques. Even though the learning curve is a bit steeper, I like the knowledge gained from using an intuitive approach. I like the idea of having a sight glass, but the cost is a little prohibitive at this point. I might add one at some point, but maybe not if I find that I can run it effectively without one.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:16 am

On our CCVM still we have no sight glass, but we do have a temp sensor halfway up the column, and I've calculated the vapor speed I want for a 2" column, and the % power setting that gives me that speed. Our starting procedure so far is this: Turn on coolant flow, pull reflux condenser all the way down (27" on the yardstick), turn power % to 0, turn on the main power contactor, turn power up to 100%, run until the mid-column temp sensor shows steady reflux (without my notes I forget that number), turn power down to 65% and allow one hour for equilibration, move reflux "throttle" up to 30.5". stand back and watch 95% ethanol collect for a long damn time (often 12 hours) until the mid-column number starts to change, switch out the collection receptacle, and wait until output pretty much peters out. Heave a big sigh, and shut the rascal down.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby kimbodious » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:12 am

I like the reassuabce I feel having a sight glass to minitor things but I don't like the extra height it adds to the column; that and the 12" extension above the takeoff puts the top well out of my reach from a standing position. I am considering a pully system for raising and lowering the RC coil!

Zeb, I really like your simple description of how your run goes - yes I appreciate what you say about the time involved, I split my last run over two sessions.
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Well, this isn't completely clear, and the counterweight hadn't been installed on that bright green paracord yet, but there is a pair of pulleys up in that hole to lift the condenser, and you can see the stick which can pull down the now partially exposed "hairy cruller" reflux condenser down. The bottom of the stick hangs against a 4-foot ruler to gauge/repeat condenser height. The owner is not much over 5', but she can run it fine.

Ghetto, I'll admit.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby kimbodious » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:16 pm

thanks! that looks the trick, and I am 6'1"
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:04 pm

ZB, 12 hours you say? What size charge are you running? That sounds like boka speed. I was under the impression that a CCVM could deliver product a little faster than that. I wonder how much difference 3" will make.

Thanks for your description of using the RC. I plan to unapologetically copy your RC design.

Kimbo, how's your CCVM build going? I was reading about your sight glass build in your thread. Sounds like a less expensive way to go. The lantern style glasses are outrageously expensive. I think I'll be running without one for a while and see how it goes.
S-Cackalacky

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:55 am

SC, that was a charge of about 13 gallons of 40% low wines, at least after thermal expansion of the charge caused a sightglass overflow )(which was very easy to deal with). For boilup and an hour's equilibration, that's perhaps an hour:45 before we start collecting.

I'd have to go to my notes to be sure, but collection is at about 2 liters per hour. In fairness, I'm still trying to see what's the cleanest thing I can do; I think I'll be throttling up for the gin base, which doesn't need to be simon pure.

As for copy, why not? I unabashedly copied dad300 on that design, although I added the "hairy" part, the copper mesh.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby kimbodious » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:37 am

S-Cackalacky, I had an extra tee so for $35 AUD I added a SD SGK. I was worried not enough light could get in for a clear view but that has not been the case

I am still waiting on the CSST from the UStates to twist up for my RC, I don't think he's bought it yet. I'm now also one trickamp shy of what I need. Ah that is what we do with this hobby - waiting! :lol:

I was only getting 600ml per hour on my last VM run. This has brought about the latest change in design...
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby Swedish Pride » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:18 am

3" is has more than twice the area of a 2" so I reckon you should be able a whole lot faster SC
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby bigfoot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:37 am

A relatively new member on the forum - hi Arnie - has personally built a similar set up recently and has had some pretty amazing results.
I'll let Arnie boast about his successes to the group, a very nice and simple home built vm with a shotgun pc and lieberg.
The amazing thing to hear from Arnie re his build is the speed to which he can run!! Don't be shy mate - post up your wins - I'm sure others will be keen to hear / consider similar type setups :handgestures-thumbupright:
Bf
bigfoot

Postby kimbodious » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:06 pm

show us ya skills Arnie! :handgestures-thumbupright:
--
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby JayD » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:43 pm

bigfoot wrote:A relatively new member on the forum - hi Arnie - has personally built a similar set up recently and has had some pretty amazing results.
I'll let Arnie boast about his successes to the group, a very nice and simple home built vm with a shotgun pc and lieberg.
The amazing thing to hear from Arnie re his build is the speed to which he can run!! Don't be shy mate - post up your wins - I'm sure others will be keen to hear / consider similar type setups :handgestures-thumbupright:
Bf

I agree, show us your still Arnie, but please start a new thread to do so. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JayD

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:09 pm

Ok with me if he wants to post his info here, or do a new thread and post a link to it here. My original intent for starting this thread was to give the novice distiller an easy path into a reflux build. It's always good to have comparisons of different build techniques and operational experiences. I would only encourage posters to keep their posts focused on the CCVM reflux still.
S-Cackalacky

Postby S-Cackalacky » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:24 pm

Just wanted to mention that I still haven't received my clamps and gaskets. Today marks one week since the order was placed. I'm getting a little antsy to see how this thing all fits together, although I won't be able to use it for awhile because I've yet to finish some of the other components.
S-Cackalacky

Next

Return to How To Build