the modern distiller

Ellie

Say Hi...and let us know a bit about your world.

Ellie

Postby tuner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Newbie Here,

Only have a few runs under the belt and well not doing good on the cuts. Have to try harder!
:confusion-confused:
Keep getting a "Chemical Smell and Taste" from BWTP wash. Can get 95% ABV at the parrot for most of the run. But allot has gone down the drain, not getting a tasty product that I would drink! Using the Birdwatchers Sugar Wash as per the recipe with E-1118 yeast
The RUM was a bust as the Stripper Run - smelt burnt circuit boards, I didn't think that I had burnt the run as I was only about 3500 Watts on 30 liters. Will do a spirit run, but I'm not hopeful.

Cheers
Tuner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tuner

Re: Ellie

Postby JayD » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, :obscene-drinkingcheers: nice still you have there.
JayD

Postby FullySilenced » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:27 am

Hella nice... :-o :text-welcomewave:

Happy Stillin,

FS
FullySilenced

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:45 pm

welcome in lad.
Lovely still, Did you make it or where did you get it from?

To me it looks like one or two of the modules are upside down or the sight glasses may just be on different levels?

I too had issues initially, I was reading how everyone made better than store bought first time the ran a still, but I was left far from impressed by my stuff.
I think I have decided that it's my (our) standards that are higher, everyone else are used to drinking crap :lol:

these days I still can't say I make better that store bought whiskey, I can make it smother easily enough, but not as complex, I assume I'll have to wait for time to have it's way with the oak and whiskey for that to happen.
Also I find AG much MUCH nicer that sugarheads.

so , sorry no help, just a different view on it.

btw, I still drank it all even if it was not great as I'm a cheapskate and a drunk :lol:
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby tuner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 am

Swedish Pride wrote:Lovely still, Did you make it or where did you get it from? :

Got the parts from several vendors

Swedish Pride wrote:To me it looks like one or two of the modules are upside down or the sight glasses may just be on different levels?:

Good Spot on the "sight Glasses" not sure if that will help the system - will try with the smaller parts down :-)
Cheers
tuner

Postby tuner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:09 am

Swedish Pride wrote:Also I find AG much MUCH nicer that sugarheadsl:

Dusting off my All Grain equipment - that is next - on the Beer side, want to make a nice Kilkenny Clone - Irish Red Ale.
Working on "Brew in a Basket" system for my All Grains. Going brew this week-end a 50% Wheat 50% Malted Barley mash,using an ale yeast.
Cheers
tuner

Postby kimbodious » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Beaut looking still tuner! :handgestures-thumbupright: It is a good idea that you are using simple TPW or Birdwatchers recipe washes while you are learning the operating characteristics of your new still!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby Swedish Pride » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Swedish Pride wrote:To me it looks like one or two of the modules are upside down or the sight glasses may just be on different levels?:

Good Spot on the "sight Glasses" not sure if that will help the system - will try with the smaller parts down :-)
Cheers[/quote]

The sightglasses themselves will not make a difference, I was only mentioning it as it could indicate that you have a plate or two upside down in the still, if they are soldered in that is.
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride

Postby tuner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 am

Swedish Pride wrote:
Swedish Pride wrote:The sightglasses themselves will not make a difference, I was only mentioning it as it could indicate that you have a plate or two upside down in the still, if they are soldered in that is.

No the plates are free and Green Side up ( Laying Sod Joke). When working can be flooded out with too much vapour.
tuner

Postby RefluxEd » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:57 pm

A really nice looking still.
A few points from my experience:
With 5 plates I could not separate out the fores, they stayed right through.
It was only after I increased to 8 plates that I could get a clean neutral.
Now using 13 plates and I have complete control.
A cheaper way than using plates is to add a packed section below the reflux condenser. I'd suggest at least a 600mm section.
2 inch BOKA/LM/VM
Bubbler with 14 4x3x4 inch tees and 15 bubble plates under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.
Love it!
RefluxEd

Postby tuner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:29 am

RefluxEd wrote:A few points from my experience:
A cheaper way than using plates is to add a packed section below the reflux condenser. I'd suggest at least a 600mm section.

Hmmm .. that is not what one wants to hear :confusion-confused: One would have to move the still to a new location - low ceiling. Reflux will not get the heads out?
tuner

Postby kimbodious » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:18 am

I think RefluxEd is suggesting you swap a 600mm packed column for the copper section with all the sight glasses. Don't be in a rush when distilling. There is little benefit in getting high output rate on a spirit run (even if the ABV is high) if the product is an undrinkable smeared mess. Achieve a good product first and then work on output rates. For a really cheap easy clean neutral check out Googe's Kale recipe!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular SS Pot Still 2"
Modular SS CCVM Reflux Column 2"
Modular SS Gin Head 2"
kimbodious

Postby tuner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:30 am

I put 64 Stainless Steel Pot Scrubbers into the Helmet /onion over the Weekend and did a Spirit Run .. just as pictured above

- boiler vapour to 82 Deg C - distillation column full reflux
- 30 Minutes RC Water coming out at 30 Deg C about one drop per sec
- 20 Minutes RC Water coming out at 40 Deg C about 1 liter of very bad stuff
- Heart Run RC water coming out at 50 Deg C about 2.6 liters per hour production 95% ABV at the parrot
- Stopped the run when temp climbed to 65 Deg C on RC water coming out
- Nice clean product - clean taste
Very Happy with the Run – charge 60 liters at 30% ABV
tuner

Postby RefluxEd » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Hmm, it looks like the onion with packing is equal to 4 or 5 plates. Wow! Who would have thought that would be the case?
2 inch BOKA/LM/VM
Bubbler with 14 4x3x4 inch tees and 15 bubble plates under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.
Love it!
RefluxEd

Return to Introduce Yourself